KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Stage Fright View next topic
View previous topic
tms13pin
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:24 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Eudai, funny you should mention having stage fright and public
speaking fright. I was that way as well, funny that we're teachers now.
I'm totally comforable going in front of crowds now, I do it almost
every day, but I used to be mortified.

I always found it less scary to play out in original bands than in cover
bands. Noone knew your material in original bands and wouldn't know
if you made mistakes or not. Not so in cover bands.

Now, I just don't care. I go out to play for fun, when I do get a chance,
and I just have a good time. I don't really care now dorky I look playing
anymore. I'm also not expecting panties to be thrown at me either
(not that I ever had that happen before).

--Tom
Emogee
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:33 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

The worst they're going to do is laugh.

Once you get over that, you're home free.

Playing at your local church helps alot too. Same songs, same band, same audience every week.

Work out your fears on the small stage.

Emogeee

Guitars ... Martin D-15 - Solid Mahogany Top - Yamaki 6 - Seagull 12 String

Wife - Unhappy
dukey
DCM2Kuser

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:23 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Been making music for the last 25 yrs or so - started out with my acoustic guitar and my voice in a folk club - was a 1 man band (keyboerds etc) for over 20 years, now I'm the lead singer in a 6-persons cover band. Stagefright - hell yes - in the beginning, later on you learn to trust yr equipment and yr abilities - biggest fright was when I had to step out from behind my keyboards and speak to the partygoers for some 35 minutes - nothing to hind behind except a mike-stand. Nowadays I only worry whether all songs will work out the way we practiced them - still every gig I'm apprehensive but that's part of the game I suppose - that's just part of wanting to do it how it should be done
will

Alive again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:55 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Emogee wrote:
Playing at your local church helps alot too. Same songs, same band, same audience every week.

No smoking on the dance floor? Think

I'll mend myself before it gets me...
padams
Perpetual Goofball

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:14 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm probably one of the most shy people you'll ever meet...when I'm on stage, I don't get crazy or anything, but when I'm there I put myself in a certain "zone" where no one else exists. It's best just to completely encapsulate yourself in the music, and everything else is only there in between songs. There are honestly times when I don't even SEE anything; either I'm concentrating on my fretboard or just zoned out completely. It's really a thrill when people cheer afterwards, but I always try to ignore that they're ever there when I'm playing or I won't be able to think about what I'm playing.

"Treat yourself like #1....because everyone else will treat you like #2"
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:46 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

padams wrote:
I'm probably one of the most shy people you'll ever meet...when I'm on stage, I don't get crazy or anything, but when I'm there I put myself in a certain "zone" where no one else exists.

Very interesting.

I'm also quite shy, but I'm one of those odd introverts who also has a need to perform once in a while. I love the crowd and am always watching them for clues of what we're doing right and what we're not. I feed off their energy. But after the show when they come up and say, "You guys sounded really good! How long have you been playing together?" and such, I'd really rather let someone else talk to them. Smile

Kiesel Aries, Carvin CS6M, SH445, SH225, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, LB76F, Vintage 16, Nomad
BluesPicker
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:01 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been doing this for 42 years and still feel a little nervousnous, from time to time, especially if it's a first gig with a new band, or if I haven't played on stage in a long, long time. But once I start, the nerves go away. Being or feeling nervous is normal ... in my opinion, a little "edge" is a good thing, and you actually play more focussed for it.

One night I remember -- I was assigned to a radar site in Iceland, and had been there a few days. I walked in the NCO Club one Saturday and saw the band setting up -- well, the band's rhythm guitarist. He already knew about me, but I didn't know anything about him or the band (all military guys stationed there, like me).

"Go get your guitar, man, and let's jam," Russ said. So, off I went. I played through about half the first tune -- "HUSH" (the Deep Purple tune) -- and Russ, said, "Hey, you wanna play lead for us tonight? Of course I said yes, without having a clue about what they played. Talk about playing "cold" without a rehearsal for a four-hour gig.

Turned out Russ and the bassist were rockers, stuck in this old-style country outfit run by a drummer and his wife (who sang). Russ would holler out chord changes during the songs -- then yell out, "Hey let's do .... (some rocker)." One weekend later the drummer and chick quit, we replaced the drummer, and we had us a rock band for the next 18 months!

But one of the most nervous nights I had was about 10 years ago. I had always played in bands with two or more other guys up on stage with me. There's safety in numbers, doncha know, and it's a lot easier to cover or smother the flubs in a full band. But I'd been asked to do a solo acoustic gig for a university coffee house thing. I never felt so naked!!! And I was scared shitless. But I had an absolute blast!!!!!!

Just "go for it" and have fun. It's all good.
padams
Perpetual Goofball

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:05 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

bluespckr wrote:

....But one of the most nervous nights I had was about 10 years ago. I had always played in bands with two or more other guys up on stage with me. There's safety in numbers, doncha know, and it's a lot easier to cover or smother the flubs in a full band. But I'd been asked to do a solo acoustic gig for a university coffee house thing. I never felt so naked!!! And I was scared shitless. But I had an absolute blast!!!!!!

Just "go for it" and have fun. It's all good.

My last gig was me playing solo at my companys' Christmas party, in front of the boss and everyone, so I feel ya there lol.

"Treat yourself like #1....because everyone else will treat you like #2"
Mubodude
Smilin' Like A Killer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:08 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Thundernotes wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, avoid prior consumption of "liquid courage". It won't make you play better, no matter what anybody tells you.

No kidding, ever watch "The Song Remains the Same"?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:28 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Mubodude wrote:
Thundernotes wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, avoid prior consumption of "liquid courage". It won't make you play better, no matter what anybody tells you.

No kidding, ever watch "The Song Remains the Same"?

... or see a clip of Jim Morrison at his worst?
sirmyghin
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:02 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Haven't performed much but the few times I have was singing and playing bass (at the same time) Stage fright doesn't seem to be a problem, I am nervous BEFORE I go on. Once I'm there the show must go on so I balls up and rock. Might be a little shaky from earlier but I find just get with it and everything works out fine.
MikeBass
Why?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:12 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Just remember that all the insects watching you are not even worthy to witness your glory, and that you are a god before them.

Just don't let that ego get involved when it comes time to make the music.

Mr. Green

Member of the Family

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:28 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I've got a bizarre version of stage fright. When I play with my band, I have absolutely zero stage fright. When I play a gig by myself, such as singing at a wedding or something, I nearly shake and clam up.
sirmyghin
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:51 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Sixstringmonk wrote:
I've got a bizarre version of stage fright. When I play with my band, I have absolutely zero stage fright. When I play a gig by myself, such as singing at a wedding or something, I nearly shake and clam up.

fear up with no one else to blame eh Razz
flake
Museum Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:21 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

This is what I think of "stage fright"...

...just now noticing all of you reading these words and staring at me...

AAAAAAAAAaaaaacccckkkkk!!!

flake vamoozles outta here....
Robert_M
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:53 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

One of the things most people are afraid of at first is making a mistake in front of an audience. Realize that you ARE going to make that mistake at some point, and the world wont end when you do. Just keep playing and move on, chances are, only the musicians in the audience will notice. And if the crowd has had a few drinks, trust me, they will be too busy having fun and won't know or care if you miss that last key change. Just play and enjoy it.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic