KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Whats the average........ View next topic
View previous topic
Tonys300ad
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:18 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

What is the average time it takes to know the minor pentatonic scales?

I know all 5 "boxes" but for the life of me i cant just go from say the first position to the 4th. I know how to figure out what key to start the first position. I also practice them daily and I am still not smooth at doing them. I STILL sound very "choppy" so to speak.

I just started learning them at the beginning of February. I do them at least a half hour a day, but it just seems like I am going nowhere. ( that work thing and life stuff messes thing up sometimes)

I work with a jam disc and can kinda do a slow type solo but like I said I can only go from one position to the one right next to it (either up or down) and I am not "fluid" at all. I am more like MUD Shocked

I feel like a fool for asking such dumb questions Embarassed
sirmyghin
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:00 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

is that just the minor pents and not normal scales?
Tonys300ad
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:12 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Just the minor pentatonics. I have some other scales to practice ( but havent in a while)

Progress is very slow for me at this time and it does get fustrating. And boreing for that matter. I know I have to learn them and am doing my best. Like i said before I try to do just the minor pentatonics for at least half an hour everytime I pick up my guitar. I do other stuff like excersises and chords as well after.

Then I just mess around with my gear and try to have fun. Sometimes I just get so down on myself that I just shut everything off and forget about it.
padams
Perpetual Goofball

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:11 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

The best thing you could do, when trying to jam with the scales and not practice them, is to put them out of your mind. Working on scales, runs, etc is great, but you don't want to think about it when you play. Close your eyes when you listen to the jam tracks, and just let it come out.

"Treat yourself like #1....because everyone else will treat you like #2"
devilrob1979
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:22 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Try coming up with different lines going up and down the neck using the scales. Slide in and out of each one with different starting and stopping points. Sometimes writing these out in tab can be a big help.After a while your fingers will just know where to go.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic