KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Kubicki basses... View next topic
View previous topic
Mubodude
Smilin' Like A Killer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:34 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I just landed an '89 for a very nice price. Right about when they were turned over to Fender, but made with original Kubicki factory parts.

Any thoughts on these? I remember seeing them a lot in the 80's and as I wasn't a bass player in any sense of the word, I didn't think much of them. Now they seem pretty obscure and for me it was one of those unique finds and something different to explore as it's pretty inovative in design. It's got a few bumps and bruises, but nothing serious. I saw on Philip Kubicki's website that he will restore them to factory fresh on various levels from buffing and setups to all of that AND complete refret in the package, which I may do to make it perfect again. Just curious if anyone here has owned or played one. I've been on a binge again as well as purging skinny stringers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:43 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Mubodude wrote:
I just landed an '89 for a very nice price. Right about when they were turned over to Fender, but made with original Kubicki factory parts.

Any thoughts on these? I remember seeing them a lot in the 80's and as I wasn't a bass player in any sense of the word, I didn't think much of them. Now they seem pretty obscure and for me it was one of those unique finds and something different to explore as it's pretty inovative in design. It's got a few bumps and bruises, but nothing serious. I saw on Philip Kubicki's website that he will restore them to factory fresh on various levels from buffing and setups to all of that AND complete refret in the package, which I may do to make it perfect again. Just curious if anyone here has owned or played one. I've been on a binge again as well as purging skinny stringers.

Shocked You have a real keeper (more so if the price was really right) Cool

If it's anything like the couple I've played - I'd take Philip up on that offer Wink

Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:27 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I had the hots for a Kubicki X-Factor back in the day. The things played like a dream. Stu Hamm played them before he got his signature Urge bass.
The Factor and X-Factor were 32" scale.
The X-Factor had a little lever you could flip that gave you two more frets to go down to D.
The way I heard it, Philip Kubicki worked for Fender. Then he went out on his own building basses. Then Fender bought his design and started making them.
sirmyghin
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:08 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Never heard of em, but cannot say i find them aesthetically pleasing
Mubodude
Smilin' Like A Killer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:05 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

It's sweet looking and has a few dings, but I think I will send it in for restoration. It's got the lever to tune down to D changing the scale length from 32" in E to 36". It should arrive in a couple days.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic