KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Fourth blues lesson sent out today... View next topic
View previous topic
T-Bone-BBQ
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:30 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

FYI for those who've asked for them.

"I can't win...'cause I don't have a thing to lose" - Buddy Guy
SirFreakOfTheInk
Country Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:44 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Just finished downloading it a few minutes ago, thanks! Things have been kind of hectic around here lately, so I've only worked on the first lesson. It has helped a lot, especially the BB box scale, in getting me to use those skinnier strings. Plus, a break was needed from trying to be the next chicken pickin' country player. Mr. Green

There is definitely an improvement in my blues playing now. I won't subject you to a recording of it yet though. Wink
Stonewall
Museum Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:15 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks a lot for these - I'm enjoying them very much. It's been a good growth exercise.

Equipment:
Magic Bolt
The Gonad
T-Bone-BBQ
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:42 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

SirFreakOfTheInk wrote:
There is definitely an improvement in my blues playing now. I won't subject you to a recording of it yet though. Wink

Oh come on...I'd love to hear it. Applause

SirFreakOfTheInk
Country Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:46 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

T-Bone-BBQ wrote:
SirFreakOfTheInk wrote:

I'm getting better....that doesn't mean good. Laughing
Jammed along with B.B.'s "Blues on the Bayou" album yesterday. It's finally sinking into my thick skull that what isn't played can be just as important as what is. Hopefully this will carry over to my country playing as well.
I'm sure you're familiar with the album mentioned above. That has caused a few ideas for the next recording session. First I have to learn some more chords and the blues scale on keys. Then see if I can get a decent organ sound out of the Yamaha, and if the rotary effect on the V-Amp2 will make it sound like a Leslie cabinet. Then there's that whole getting better at guitar thing......so it should be at least a few days until my next thread in the Share Your Music forum.

Mr. Green

Your lessons have already helped a lot though. Between what I've picked up from the lessons and the other fine folks here, my playing is a lot better than I thought it would be at this point.
T-Bone-BBQ
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:56 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

SirFreakOfTheInk wrote:
T-Bone-BBQ wrote:
SirFreakOfTheInk wrote:

I'm getting better....that doesn't mean good. Laughing
Jammed along with B.B.'s "Blues on the Bayou" album yesterday. It's finally sinking into my thick skull that what isn't played can be just as important as what is. Hopefully this will carry over to my country playing as well.
I'm sure you're familiar with the album mentioned above. That has caused a few ideas for the next recording session. First I have to learn some more chords and the blues scale on keys. Then see if I can get a decent organ sound out of the Yamaha, and if the rotary effect on the V-Amp2 will make it sound like a Leslie cabinet. Then there's that whole getting better at guitar thing......so it should be at least a few days until my next thread in the Share Your Music forum.

Mr. Green

Your lessons have already helped a lot though. Between what I've picked up from the lessons and the other fine folks here, my playing is a lot better than I thought it would be at this point.

Ahhh yes...very familiar with that album. You really need to listen to some classic live BB to see how good he used to be. He's still good, but can't play like he used to...I was shocked the first time I listened to some old live recordings of BB compared to his new stuff. All his older stuff showed how much of a master blues player and singer he truly was in his prime. While BB is not my favorite blues guitarist, he is up close to the top.

SirFreakOfTheInk
Country Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:39 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
You really need to listen to some classic live BB to see how good he used to be.

I have a few (3 or 4 I think) more BB albums to rip to the PC that have some older live recordings. A few of them definitely are jaw droppers. I haven't tried to copy note for note his stuff (There's probably an unwritten law about doing that with blues solos). But at least jamming to his music is possible. After listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan it takes a few days before I can even pick up the guitar without feeling like a total pile of poop.
sirmyghin
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:59 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

still working on #1 myself when i'm not doing stuff to increase alternate picking and all that jazz. tired of the piss poor pickups on my junker electric though hardly pickup anything... Thanks for the lesson though I assure you one day I will work through em, but on top of it all I just moved again so taking some time to get in the groove with that and class starting.
T-Bone-BBQ
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:22 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

SirFreakOfTheInk wrote:
Quote:
You really need to listen to some classic live BB to see how good he used to be.

I have a few (3 or 4 I think) more BB albums to rip to the PC that have some older live recordings. A few of them definitely are jaw droppers. I haven't tried to copy note for note his stuff (There's probably an unwritten law about doing that with blues solos). But at least jamming to his music is possible. After listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan it takes a few days before I can even pick up the guitar without feeling like a total pile of poop.

Yeah...Stevie was definitely awesome, but after listening to many of his idols (Buddy, Albert King, etc...) you can hear where he got most of his licks. I really like Stevie, but I have since found some of his playing to be kinda boring compared to guys like BB, Buddy, Albert Collins, and some of the older blues players. The thing I like best about Stevie was his tone he could get...

SirFreakOfTheInk
Country Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:00 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
...I have since found some of his playing to be kinda boring compared to guys like BB, Buddy, Albert Collins, and some of the older blues players.

I haven't reached that opinion yet. SRV did manage to attract a lot of new fans to blues, and got me to listen to some of the older players too. Plus Tommy Shannon is the blues bass player I try to play like.
devilrob1979
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:00 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I never received mine Crying
T-Bone-BBQ
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:27 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

devilrob1979 wrote:
I never received mine Crying

I'll send them...don't cry. Sad

T-Bone-BBQ
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:35 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

FYI - The next lesson will be delayed some. Haven't even started it yet. Hopefully I'll have it ready by Friday or next Monday.

Stonewall
Museum Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:50 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

T-Bone-BBQ wrote:
FYI - The next lesson will be delayed some. Haven't even started it yet. Hopefully I'll have it ready by Friday or next Monday.

Take your time, T-Bone. What you're doing is well worth it. Thanks again for your efforts! Mr. Green

Equipment:
Magic Bolt
The Gonad
T-Bone-BBQ
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:33 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Stonewall wrote:
T-Bone-BBQ wrote:

Take your time, T-Bone. What you're doing is well worth it. Thanks again for your efforts! Mr. Green

Looks like I'll have the next lesson done by tomorrow...

ejko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:45 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

T-Bone-BBQ,

New to this string. How can I get your lessons?

Thanks!

Ed
T-Bone-BBQ
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:39 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

ejko wrote:
T-Bone-BBQ,

New to this string. How can I get your lessons?

Thanks!

Ed

Sure...just PM me your e-mail address and I'll send them to you.

CK
Grand Poobah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:10 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="SirFreakOfTheInk"]
Quote:
After listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan it takes a few days before I can even pick up the guitar without feeling like a total pile of poop.

This response is WAY late, but I hear some of my students make similar comments all the time. I used to think this way also (very rarely still do), but that changed the first time I heard Shawn Lane. Here's this overweight, funny looking dude shredding the ever-loving piss out of his instrument! He was so much better than the guys I had been listening to (Satriani, for one) that I couldn't help but be inspired by him. He is probably the single greatest catalyst for my technical achievements on the guitar.

Always keep in mind just how amazing the human condition is, and that many of the supposed "limits of ability" are manufactured by the mind. If you allow for the possibility (indeed, probability) of excelling beyond what you can currently imagine, it's much closer than you realize. Believe me, I'm living proof of that. Small children in Asia probably died the first time I picked up an axe, and now I teach at the collegiate level for a living! The quest is often for the right kind of inspiration. If SRV, or whoever, can be that for you than that's awesome. If not, see who else is out there. Gary Moore is one sick blues player, though totally different in style. Some of the more fusiony blues guys are even more ridiculous (Scott Henderson, et. al.). Stretching yourself may put SRV in perspective so that he becomes primarily an inspiration, rather than a frustration.

My $.02

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic