FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  
 Instructional Books View next topic
View previous topic
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:50 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Can anybody recommend good books on chords and on scales and runs?

It is difficult to describe my level of playing. I've been playing since Feb. 1959, BUT there have been a lot of periods in that time frame when I have not played at all due to other fish to fry and battles to fight. So I could use some resources to improve. So I guess I would be an intermediate level player. I understand notation, but have never been able to read it and translate it into guitar -- and I'm too old to start that now!

With these things in mind, I'd appreciate these recommendations, and also sources of the books as the music stores around here don't have all that much.
Oscar Ortega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:11 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi there!

I would recommend Guthrie Govan's book "Cutting Edge Tech V1.
It has the chord voicings that you need and it wont complicate it like other "bible chord" books. It also gives you several ways of playing scales and the scale shapes. They all come with examples and with a CD.

I would suggest not getting any book that has 50 pages of chords...especially when they only go with major 7th and minor 7th chords...they are a waste of money and paper.

Once you understand the construction of a chord you can get the scale out of the chords.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

_________________ -

"The only limits you have are the ones you put on yourself" - Baxter Humby

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic