KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

My amp is buzzing Need help! View next topic
View previous topic
Threetwoone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:51 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a Carvin Pro Bass 200. Earlier this week I was playing in my youth group when one of the other musician stepped on my guitar cable which ripped the cable out of the amp. Ever since then my amp has emitted a very loud buzzing noise. I removed the amp from the cabinet and realized the plastic input jack had cracked a little. Would the crack be causing my problem? Or is there something else that could be wrong?

Kirk Murray
tbonesullivan
New and Improved

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:22 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

sounds like a grounding issue, and most likely it was caused by the input jack being cracked. It's possible that the ground is no longer connected so you've got an open connection = HUM.

Effects: Boss OD-20, Carvin XP4, AC120, ODB-3, ISP Dec.
peb
The PuppetMaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:28 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Purely a shoot-from-the-hip guess: when the cord was ripped out, it either pulled out or damaged the ground contact from the jack. It's buzzing because your guitar and cord aren't grounded. If it's anything like my PB100, it's on its own little PC board with the RCA jacks (at least I THINK the RCA jacks are on it). Again, if it's the same, the board is secured by the phillips head screw by the RCA jacks.

Maybe someone here knows for sure, but I THINK you need an isolated jack just like the one that broke. I found some locally but they didn't line up to the board exactly so I made a solid jumper for the signal terminal and then just soldered jumper wires in on the rest of the contacts.

Hope this helps!

Good luck.

peb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:10 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Would grounding issues cause the amp to no longer work just emit a very loud buzz?
peb
The PuppetMaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Possibly. Unplug the input board and turn on the amp. If it's still buzzing, you've got something going on that's likely going to need a tech. If the buzzing's gone, take to board out and remove the jack. Cut one end off of a cheap cord you don't mind sacrificing and solder the cut off end to where you took the jack out. Plug the board back in and temporarily mount it. Turn the amp back on. Buzzing? If it is, something happened to the board itself. If not, try plugging the cord in and see if it works. If it does, the jack's the culprit. Kind of cludgy, but you COULD use the amp with the soldered in cord - just be sure to secure it tightly to avoid a repeat of why you're in there right now. That'll buy you some time to get a replacement jack.

peb

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic