KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

PB500 Finally gave up the ghost... View next topic
View previous topic
Elwood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:43 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I bought it new in '91, but just started playing out again two years ago. A week and a half ago I was playing outside at a work picnic with my "work band" and the protect light came on. Luckily I had an open channel on my monitor power amp, so I ran it through there. I had only seen it go to protect one other time about a year ago and it was also an outside gig, so I figured it was a combination of turning it up and too warm of an amibient temperature. I practiced for 2.5 hours on Friday with no issue (although I only used one of my two cabinets). Then on Saturday night at a gig with my primary band, I only managed to get through about 35 minutes and she shut down and decided not to come back. The fix on this one wasn't as easy becuase I was using all the channels on the monitor amp, so my keyboard/rythm guitarist volunteered his keyboard amp and we mic'd it to go through the mains as well. I did fire it back up Sunday and it works, so it looks like I have a practice head... Laughing

Oh well, my singer and drummer jumped on the mic's and asked my wife in front of God and everybody to let me buy a new head...

So I just got off the phone with Keith at Carvin and my new BX1200 is on the way!! Applause Applause Applause
mgood
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:21 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Think
Check your speaker cables. It's possible that you've got a bad one in the gig setup that you're not using at home. (Unlikely, but possible. Just figure you ought to try everything before giving up.) Also, if you've got two cabs, try each one, one at a time, then try both together, at home. See if you can recreate the problem under more controlled circumstances than at the gig.
Elwood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:16 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

It's definitely the head. I've played my BX1200 3 times in gig situations through the same setup with no problems, plus I"m using the PB500 for practice on the same cabinets at lower volumes and it's working fine. I think something overheats when I crank it up. I opened it up and blew it out with some compressed air, but it wasn't as dirty as I expected (and shutdown at the last gig after that).
mgood
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:28 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah well, you got a new amp anyway. Cool

My Pro Bass II is sitting here as my "practice amp" in my upstairs computer/music room.
My B1500 and BRX system is downstairs in the kitchen because I'm NOT carrying them up the stairs.
Jointus
Green Leafy BBS Poster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:40 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I really like my BX1200.
It's a very versatile and powerful amp. I've used it bridged into my 4x10 cabinet and bi-amped with my Avatar 4x10 cabinet and 15" Kappa LF loaded cabinet.
Congratulations on your new amp!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic