KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

8x10 bass Cabinets View next topic
View previous topic
boogie5strg
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:04 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm seriously considering adding an 8x10 bass cabinet. I'm looking around at different options/brands. I am looking at Carvin with NEO's, Ampeg, Aguilar ect. What are your thoughts and opinions on these and others out there? I play predominantly 6 string, occasionally 4 (rickenbacker). My heads are an R1000 or B1500.
SlingBass
Just passing thru...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:27 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I've heard the Carvin 8x10's without neos (probably better with), and they sounded good. This is due, in large part, to the cabs having a bottom port system which enhances the lows, and makes for a more controlled and balanced cab. *I* am NOT a fan of SVT bottoms and large sealed cabs - but that's always a subjective topic. I know I wouldn't wish to lug a heavy old SVT cab around at my age Rolling Eyes

Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:58 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

SlingBass wrote:
I've heard the Carvin 8x10's without neos (probably better with), and they sounded good. This is due, in large part, to the cabs having a bottom port system which enhances the lows, and makes for a more controlled and balanced cab. *I* am NOT a fan of SVT bottoms - but that's always a subjective topic. I know I wouldn't wish to lug a heavy old SVT cab around at my age Rolling Eyes

Yeah, the Ampeg is heavier and doesn't have the freq response that the Carvin has. The latter being more important to me and it handles more RMS power. The Aguilar DB810 is closer to the Carvin in specs but again not exactly the same and out wieghs the Ampeg by a lot. The Ampeg can be had for 1k and the Aguilar for roughly 1600.00. Both more than the Carvin which means something also. At I do like the kick plate and skid rails that some of the other companies put on the back of their cabinets. I usually use my BRX410 and really like the tone I get, I just want a taller cab. If they made a BRX810 I wouldn't be asking this question Smile
SlingBass
Just passing thru...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:03 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Rails, covers, casters, dollys, skid plates, etc. can always be added - not difficult to find pieces parts on "the bay" Wink

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic