KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Trans Red Vox SDC-33 View next topic
View previous topic
T-Bone-BBQ
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:28 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Got this Vox SDC-33 in Trans Red in from Musician's Friend for $239 (on sale for $299 plus $60 off special). They are regular priced at $549. For the sale price it's a great deal.

I had to change the strings and polish the frets because both were corroded. After polishing the frets, changing strings and polishing the guitar I must say that I really like it so far. I had to loosen the truss rod because the neck was too straight (possible slight backbow) and am letting it settle in before trying to adjust the action more, but so far it plays really nice. The body is thin and the guitar is very comfortable to play

The claim from Vox was that their "coax" pickups were silent with no noise in the single coil mode and so far I'm finding that to be true. I got to play it some last night and first thing this morning with my Laney Cub 12R and even with the gain cranked the single coil mode was just as quiet as the humbucker mode. The single coil mode is not like a strat-type single coil...seems more like a P-90 to me with more output, but completely quiet with no hum. The humbucker mode seems to sound nice with a little more output, but so far nice tones from both pickups in single coil and humbucker modes. Once again...I haven't had a lot of time to test it out yet.

The ash used for the body has some great looking grain in it making the guitar look really pretty with the trans red finish. Overall the components seem to be very well made and the cast aluminum bridge is really nice. If they would just do a little better QC in the US on the strings and frets before shipping them out they would be truly awesome guitars.

For $299 even with the frets needing to be polished and a general clean up and set up on the guitar I would get another one if I had the money.

I used it at church yesterday and it played and sounded great...really liking the Coax pickups as they lend lots of tone options without adding in any hum on the single coil mode.

"I can't win...'cause I don't have a thing to lose" - Buddy Guy
Mesadude
"Must be Nigel with the brie..."

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:11 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I like the looks of that guitar!
MeZa Cool

The Tung 'n' Gruve Myspace page...

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic