KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Watermelon - a Kottke non-standard View next topic
View previous topic
Brian D
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:31 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Well... at least I had fun. Wink

Music
http://www.reverbnation.com/briand

Photography
www.briandphoto.net
SlingBass
Just passing thru...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:02 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Brian D wrote:
It is your music, no one will know you made a mistake except you (and everyone on this board... but hey!). Very Happy

Laugh Hard

THAT looked fun Bounce

Gone to the dogs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:14 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice job, Brian! Applause Like Whitey said, looks like loads of fun.

Two questions;
What tuning were you using?
What kind of pickup/mics were you using for the recording?

Thanks,
Rick
Brian D
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:09 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Using open D but the guitar is tuned a whole step down. So that would make it open C. The pickup is the standard Fishman (I think) that is in the Cobalt 750S. The older Cobalt, not the newer version with the tuner. Running into a TN100 then a DCM150 and 2x12 extension cabinet. Still not pleased with the tone I am getting. But it will do for now.

Music

Photography
www.briandphoto.net
hankwillow
Gone to the dogs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:42 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks, Brian. I was close but the whole step downtune threw me. Once again, nice job. Wish I had the talent.

I agree, there is only so much one can do with an undersaddle piezo. I think you've extracted about all the "goodie" anyone could out of one.

I put a K&K sound board transducer in my C250S. It seems more natural than USTs. I put a JJB SBT in my old Sigma and I like it even better than the K&K. (And it's about half the price). Both are improved by the addition of an Archangel X-5 outboard preamp, especially for impedance matching.

Rick
BluesPicker
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:18 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

hankwillow wrote:
Thanks, Brian. I was close but the whole step downtune threw me. Once again, nice job. Wish I had the talent.

I agree, there is only so much one can do with an undersaddle piezo. I think you've extracted about all the "goodie" anyone could out of one.

I put a K&K sound board transducer in my C250S. It seems more natural than USTs. I put a JJB SBT in my old Sigma and I like it even better than the K&K. (And it's about half the price). Both are improved by the addition of an Archangel X-5 outboard preamp, especially for impedance matching.

Rick

Shocked Rolling Eyes Rick! I have no idea what you're talking about. lol -- I just play the darn things.

Paul
Brian D
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:31 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I would like to put a pair of K&K pickups in both my Martins. I have heard nothing but good things about them. The UST has an annoying frequency response on the 2nd string that sometimes just is too loud. I can't filter it out without adding an external mixer. Don't want to do that so I live with it.

Thanks for the comments. I think string separation is better with headphones than PC speakers. I listened with headphones initially but found on PC speakers, a lot of the individual strings are not sounding. So it don't sound right. Disappointed. On top of that, I broke a nail so one finger seems to miss string plucks or they are too light to the touch.

The original tune is slower and on a 12-string. One day I will get it recorded on a 12-sting.

Thanks for everyone's comments and viewing.

Music

Photography
www.briandphoto.net
Bundy
Alive again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:22 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I thought it was a great performance and you certainly looked like you were enjoying yourself when playing. That's what it's all about, innit? Very Happy

I'll mend myself before it gets me...
hankwillow
Gone to the dogs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:44 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Seriously, if you're considering K&Ks for the Martins, try the JJB Prestige330. It's the same configuration as the K&K Pure Mini, but quite a bit less expensive. Since my Sigma is a Japanese made Martin, the designs tend to exhibit similar characteristics.

I chose the 15mm transducers rather than the 20mm on the advice of the guy who designed and builds the Archangel pre-amps. (He put a set in his Grandfather's Sigma, almost identical to mine). First of all the 15s fit easier under the bridge plate. And more importantly the resonant frequency is a bit higher than the 20s giving a more evenly balanced response (less boom) to the Sigma.

Compared to the K&Ks in my Carvin I prefer the JJBs. The K&Ks, while quite natural, can still exhibit a slight "quackiness" when driven with a hard attack. Nowhere near as pronounced as UST designs, but there. The K&Ks do have more signal level than the JJBs, and that's with slightly smaller transducers. However, I have heard that Dieter (K&K owner) had somehow raised the output level on the Pure Mini since they were first introduced to try and reach the same level as his larger 20mm transducers. Perhaps that's where he ran into the overdrive/quack issue? I have no idea, just pure observation and conjecture on my part.

Give 'em a look. Contact Jessie Vallad at JJB if you have questions. Both he and Willie Smith at Archangel are great guys to deal with.
http://jjb-electronics.com/index.html
http://www.archangeldirect.com/index.html

Oh, and if you want to record that piece on a 12, I have an old Alvarez 5037 with a B-Band in it. (Installed by a previous owner). Just drop on by sometime. I'll have the Buffalo Butt (great local beer) on ice.

Rick

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic