KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

pawn shop Carvin View next topic
View previous topic
BillVan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:20 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I went pawn shopping for a guitar about ten years ago and not knowing what I was doing happened across a lefty Carvin that had been re-strung right handed, so I put down my $19. It turned out the stringing wasn't the only problem but just recently I got it back together left handed, new Schaller bridge, and rewired the switches as some previous owner had that a mess. It really looks and sounds good but I am taking it to the local guitar shop for a new nut. When re-strung right handed it was rather gouged for the strings instead of nicely cut. Someone disrespected this guitar but it's loved now.
I would like to know a couple of things if there's someone that will help me. The year for one. I believe this is a D150 with clear finish neck and body, dark colored V headstock with block letters (this throws me), but also has a set neck, the backside of the neck adjustment cover has some initials and '84 written on it and the serial is in the 13000's. The other thing I see in photos of the older V headstock models some kinda metal looking part adjacent to the nut. What is this and can it be replaced as it's gone from mine? If not for the block letters I would have settled for the 1984 manufacture date.
Thanks, Bill
Bundy
Alive again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:49 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

First thing, block-letter logo = 1988 and later.

The only kind of metal part you describe near the nut (that I can think of right offhand) might be the Kahler locknut for the Flyer and Pro series trems... but you said it had a Schaller. Think

I'll mend myself before it gets me...
BillVan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:37 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I made two errors relying on memory. The initials are dated 4-20-87 and the serial is 17518. I don't know anything about guitars (but want to:) and added the bridge on a guess. The bridge it came with is nothing I've seen in Carvin photos and definitely not a tremolo. I guess you're referring to something like this http://carvinmuseum.com/decade/images/84-v220.html.
I've added this link to a couple of photos of this guitar.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/billvanderwilt/9394094707/in/photostream/
Would an '88 model not have a neck thru configuration? Sorry for the mix ups and thanks.
peb
The PuppetMaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:37 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Check out this page. Check out the FTB6 bridge a shade over halfway down on the right. Kinda looks like yours.

There's a lot of other info on that page that may help narrow it down even further. Keep in mind that in that era, Carvin was known for a lot of "one off" configurations and rolling changes (parts from one year carrying over into the next). Might not be able to ID it to a specific year but at least get it in a range.

Nice DC150 Cool

peb

Alive again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:23 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

This new info pretty much nails down a range of time when this guitar was most likely built. I think Peb hit it dead-on with the bridge info, and your dated truss rod cover can give you a better clue. Keep in mind that the last time curly logos appeared in catalogs would've been '87, so your guitar lies in that transition period next to '88. You have a cool piece of Carvin history right there, one many of us would treasure. Currently the oldest Carvins in my household are only 7 years old, but they rock like they were built yesterday.

Enjoy. Cool

wickid
Curator: Carvin Museum of NY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:13 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I have an '87 Koa DC with that bridge with a block logo (while my '85 V220 has the curvy logo). I believe I got it in July '87.
BillVan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:32 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks so much for your expetise guys. I feel even more fortunate to have this guitar.
So based on the info you have provided and the fact I don't have much money invested I would be interested in getting the correct tremolo and locking nut as it may have come from the factory. But only if there is some consensus amongst people who might know and not just blind guessing as I did the first time around. There is an 3/4" or so wide uncovered space between the nut and truss rod cover with 4 screw holes. Does this sound appropriate for the Kahler lock nut system? Then there are the factory stud holes at the bridge so it would be a stud mounted tremolo? Is there a place to read up on this trem system? Why the locking nut?
Anyway, pretty fun. Also, is there a resource to track the initials that are on the truss rod cover? That would be interesting information to have as well.
Thanks again, Bill
peb
The PuppetMaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:38 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I know brother Bundy and I will be on opposite sides of this debate. I don't use trems so if it's working for you as restored, why "fix" it? On the other hand, if you want to restore it back to original, or you really want a trem on it, that's the route to take.

peb

Alive again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:46 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

BillVan wrote:
There is an 3/4" or so wide uncovered space between the nut and truss rod cover with 4 screw holes. Does this sound appropriate for the Kahler lock nut system?

Yes, it does sound like a Kahler locknut may have once been there.

Quote:
Then there are the factory stud holes at the bridge so it would be a stud mounted tremolo? Is there a place to read up on this trem system? Why the locking nut?

Even stud-mounted Kahlers (which Carvin never used, unless they were the Floyd-type) still required a little bit of routing. You can read up on Kahlers with a simple Google search.

Quote:
Also, is there a resource to track the initials that are on the truss rod cover? That would be interesting information to have as well.

My guess is that the initials may come from someone who performed the final inspection. You may even find more signatures in the pickup routs.

peb wrote:

I know brother Bundy and I will be on opposite sides of this debate. I don't use trems so if it's working for you as restored, why "fix" it? On the other hand, if you want to restore it back to original, or you really want a trem on it, that's the route to take.

peb

Not so fast, my good friend. Of the current three Carvins residing in my household, not one of them has a trem system. We've got the M-bridge, an FT6, and an FT7. Our tuning stability record is near-flawless. Very Happy

But yes, I am itchin' for a DC747 with Floyd. Mr. Green

For our friend Bill, I agree with Peb. If you must restore to original, do some more homework and go with a trem. Otherwise, it looks like that guitar has plenty life left as is. The only thing I would change would be to replace that brass nut with graphite and rock on down the road!

BillVan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:27 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

OK. Sounds like I'm good to go for awhile. Maybe restore it someday. I'll see if the luthier can make a small cover for the lock nut opening when I replace the nut. Thanks for the help.
Bundy
Alive again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:44 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

BillVan wrote:
I'll see if the luthier can make a small cover for the lock nut opening when I replace the nut.

Order a new truss rod cover from Carvin. Wink

BillVan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:27 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Good call. $3.00 Thanks
Bundy
Alive again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:32 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

BillVan wrote:
Good call. $3.00 Thanks

You're welcome. Don't be a stranger, and give us Carvinfreaks more pictures of that guitar when you get a chance. Cool

Tricky1
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:14 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Sweet lefty 150.

The FTB6 Schaller was available from Carvin in 87/88. Parts section option in 88. It is not a trem, but it does have fine tuners on it. The Kahler 2300 and string lock were also available in 87/88.

I think the buyer just ordered the FTB6 with fine tuners and a Kahler string lock on the guitar.

You can still get a genuine Kahler string lock through Whammy World.
Most likely the standard string lock in 87/88, Flip lock in 89.

No new truss rod cover needed, just order a replacement string lock.

Standard lock:
http://www.wammiworld.com/p7513.php

Smile
Bundy
Alive again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:33 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Tricky1 wrote:
I think the buyer just ordered the FTB6 with fine tuners and a Kahler string lock on the guitar.

Good assessment. I second that one.

Quote:
Most likely the standard string lock in 87/88, Flip lock in 89.

As far as Carvins go, my first guitar from them was a 1985 V220T with the standard Kahler lockut, received in July. In early 1986 it was stolen, so I ended up ordering another one and received it in summer of '86. The second V220T had the Kahler Fliplocks. I made no special requests and simply (and happily!) accepted what I was given. Very Happy

I love the history of these guitars. Been drooling over those catalogs since around 1980.

BillVan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:29 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes I will be happy to post some photos in the next couple days. I like the idea of the string lock and will check into it. Thanks again. Bill
Dolebludger
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:01 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Out of curiosity, I checked out the Carvin identifier page regarding the Bridge on my 1882 SH 225, SN SN12320. It has the FTS 6 fixed bridge with fine tuners. However, the page states that this bridge was first available in 1983! My SH is a one-owner, and I KNOW it was delivered in July, 1982. Curious.

For the subject of this thread, the important thing is this bridge is the best fixed bridge I have encountered on a guitar is over five decades. I don't know if they are even made anymore. Somebody who found on on an inexpensive used Carvin is very lucky!
Tricky1
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:06 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Schaller still makes them.
http://guitar-bridge.com/hp193119/Bridge-SHFS-GO-12110500.htm

http://guitar-bridge.com/hp193119/Bridge-SHFS-GO-12110500.htm

http://www.warmoth.com/Schaller-456-6-String-Stud-Mount-Bridge-Black-P571.aspx
BillVan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:48 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

"Somebody who found on on an inexpensive used Carvin is very lucky!"

I added this bridge myself trying to match what may have been original. The pawn shop bridge was entirely different and beat up like it had been in vice grips maybe.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic