KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

...and I thought my GAS had subsided..... View next topic
View previous topic
truedog
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:32 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I haven't really been gassing much lately but yesterday I took the new Harley for a ride down to Guitar Center in Ft. Collins CO, since buying a couple packs of picks justified a 100+ mile ride on the RoadKing.

Anyhow while I was there I stopped in the acoustic room and tried a bunch of guitars ranging from $300 Ibanez to a $1500 used Gibson Sheryl Crow model. It always gets me how much variation there is in acoustics.

Right now I only have two acoustics, my Carvin AC375 which is a small guitar with a thick top. It sounds great either unplugged or amplified, but does not project acoustically like a traditional acoustic. I also have an Alvarez AE, I don't know the model, but it's a lower end guitar. It plays okay, but just sounds kind of dead to me so it doesn't get much use.

I've always been drawn to Taylors, but all of the 200 series guitars I played were just too bright for my tastes, while the Performing Artist series Martins were a little too bassy and woody. I did like a Yamaha A series guitar, which was pretty well balanced, but after playing a Martin DRSGT I was in love. $999 is not in the cards right now, but that guitar had a super balanced sound, great setup and just felt right.

Time to start saving pennies, I guess.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic