KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Carvin solid body electrics are mostly for heavy metal? View next topic
View previous topic
garryb
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:48 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I played a set at a local blues jam recently, and one of the patrons complimented my playing and added that one usually sees Carvin guitars playing heavy metal music.

My DC200T fits in playing rock, country, blues or whatever. With the split coil humbuckers, master volume, bass and treble controls, phase switch and active/passive mode, the sound is very versatile.

Is that true? Do the solid bodies have a reputation for heavy metal?

Curator: Carvin Museum of NY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:59 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I bet many of the u toobs around are Carvin guitars plugged into V3's or Lecacys and demoing the dirty channel, hence the rep. Also, I believe the basic p/ups are pretty hot, and they have other hotter and milder model p/ups to taste.
Thats my take anyway.
Bundy
Alive again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:44 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not really cool with that stereotype and have to guess that kind of comment would come from only the uninformed.

In the late 80's I was hired (and sometimes paid with beer Mr. Green ) to play as a sideman in a Country band, and I was using my trusty '86 V220T and the SX200 combo. Blew that "Carvin usually plays Metal" notion right outta the water.

Currently I've got two bands happening; one does Classic/Modern Rock and the other does P&W/Southern/Classic Rock. I'm doing everything BUT chugga-chugga on the low Bb string of my DC747 and V3 halfstack rig.

People who play Carvins know better. Wink They've always been some of the most musically diverse instruments around, but I suppose a lot of that would come from the hands/mind of the individual player. And yeah, Carvin guitars work pretty good for Metal too.
Yeah!

I'll mend myself before it gets me...
Doctor Shrinker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:00 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

If you had a V220 or a Ultra V. i guess I could understand this persons comment. I think people associate the shape (and color) of the guitar to the type of music. But didn't the flying V start out as a "blues" guitar?

I am all about the metal, and I can't think of anyone in metal who plays a Cavin. Crying Well, thinking about it Marty Freidman did until Dave Mustaine told him he had to play a Jackson, and so did Warrent (lets try to forget that though)

I think the person was thinking of Jackson, ESP, or Ibanez. I could see why someone might call them metal guitars. Just about all there endorsers are metal players.

Which is funny, I love metal, and I don't have (or want) any of those guitars.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic