KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

JJB Pickup Test to intro of David Crosby's Guinnevere View next topic
View previous topic
Brian D
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:26 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Installed a JJB Pickup in my Maritin D35. Sounds nice. The tune should be familiar with some (older) folks here. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TxPipCdMvA

Music
http://www.reverbnation.com/briand

Photography
www.briandphoto.net
hankwillow
Gone to the dogs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:22 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Is that plugged straight into the acoustic amp (no pre-amp)? Did you go with the 15mm or 20mm transducers?
Nice playing, BTW.

Rick
Brian D
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:07 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

20mm, but made for a tight fit on the high E string area.

Plugged into my TN100. I modified all the presets to remove distortion and/or overdrive. Left each channel as is otherwise.

And, thanks!

Music

Photography
www.briandphoto.net
hankwillow
Gone to the dogs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:18 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I put a 15mm set in my Sigma DM-5. Interesting comparison between that and a K&K equipped Cobalt C250S. Quite different guitars to start with so comparisons are not simple. The K&K's have a bit higher output but the JJB's sound a bit more "acoustic like", if one could call that a term. I'm sure that a lot has to do with the Sigma being a spruce top and the Cobalt cedar. The Sigma is also of course a Japanese made reasonably close Martin copy whereas the Cobalt is a late production variant made after Cort moved to China. I was just doing some comparisons today plugged into my AG100D.

I chose the 15mm transducers on the advice of Willie Smith, owner and designer of Archangel Pre-amps. We were discussing some things and come to find out he had just put a set in an identical DM-5 he inherited from his Grandpa. Made me feel a bit old but there ya' go. He found out from Jessie at JJB the resonant freqs of the two sizes so he could tune his pre-amps to the JJB pickups. He based his decision on that info. I see Jessie is generally recommending the smaller sets for the more live tops now. But that extra output level and lower freq response of the 20's is nice too.

I should do like you and post some clips but I'm a little reticent to show you guys just how bad a guitarist I truly am. Wink

BTW, I have an Archangel X-5 and an X-7 pre-amp that works like a charm as a DI box for my recorder. More on those later if you're interested. Glad you like the JJB's.

Rick
Brian D
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:39 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Around the 11~12s mark I hear what sounds like a narrow band of frequencies. Unlike the higher strings, the lower ones just seem a little tight and narrow. This does not bother me as I think it helps to balance out the tones. I also notice it when I am playing. I wonder if it is cause by the location of the middle pickup.

I too though about using a pre going into the power amp, but then I said why not use the TN100. So I did and was pleasantly surprised. I played the C750s using the TN100 and did not get the same tones. That is using a saddle bridge. Big difference.

I plan on getting one more set for the 12-string. They were fun installing but I was so scared of drilling out that 1/2" hole. But all went well.

Music

Photography
www.briandphoto.net
hankwillow
Gone to the dogs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:07 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep, drilling holes (even just enlarging one) in a perfectly good guitar scares the carp out of me. I'll admit I had the pickup installed by my luthier while he was doing some other work on the Sigma. I had the bridge lowered and changed to bone as well as the nut while he did a complete setup including a fret contour. So while the strings were off, ... .

The 20's are supposed to be ideal for a 12 string. The wider bridge should make it a bit easier to install. My 12 (Old Alvarez 5037) already had a B-Band in it when I bought it used. But someday I may substitute a JJB as well.

The pre-amp, any pre-amp is great for impedance matching. The inputs on acoustic guitar amps are pretty high so they accept the piezo transducers well. But the inputs to things like my Tascam are relatively low so the matching characteristics of the pre are really more important (to me anyway) than the actual amplification.

This was supposed to be posted last Thursday night but our internet provider's connection died then and only got repaired a short time ago. Nothing but the best service from Verizon, eh?

Rick

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic