KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Hello from Australia View next topic
View previous topic
Fish food

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:27 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi from a new contributor from "down under". Have just bought my first Carvin. From the info on this site it looks like a CM130CE with the stereo wiring option. Could be 1979 or 1980, but the serial number is 9433 which suggests 79. It has 8282 stamped on the back of the headstock, if that means anything. It looks like it actually hasn't been played much - no wear, no dings, like new really except for a light patina on the pickup screws and some corrosion on the bridge. Came with the original case, orange lining. I'm setting it up to play through a Line6 PODXT Live floorboard, which takes a lot of careful programming if it's going to shine. The guitar seems to have a huge dynamic range so it suits the floorboard quite well, although the guitar bottom end seems to fall apart a bit on some of the higher drive settings. Final stage is a Roland JC 77 which is very bright, so I generally have to roll back the high end in most of the floorboard tones. I'm plugged into the front end of the amp because there is no "power in" jack. All EQ is set halfway except for "hi-treble" which is on minimum. Both pickup volume knobs are set on 7 to leave a bit of headroom, and the single tone knob is generally up around 8 or 9, with plenty of room to roll back if needed. This is all very well in the lounge room, but it remains to be seen how it will sound in a hall! I kind of like the cachet associated with using the vintage guitar. Build quality is amazing. Cheers.
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:59 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to the forum!

I would love to see pictures of your guitar. THough I think you need to have five posts here before the Upload Pic button will work for you...

Kiesel Aries, Carvin CS6M, SH445, SH225, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, LB76F, Vintage 16, Nomad
Fish food

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:44 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks ElfDude. The guitar looks identical to the CM130CE depicted on the Carvin Museum site, except that it has the stereo output jacks. After a few more posts I should be able to get a picture up. Does anyone actually use the stereo feature these days? It seems to be designed to expand the guitar's EQ - bridge pickup thru one amp, neck pickup thru the other. When two leads are plugged into the guitar the tone pot is taken out of the bridge circuit but remains functional for the neck pickup, the theory being that this will give an even brighter result for the amp carrying the output from the bridge pickup (because even with the guitar tone set on 10 there is still some high-end roll-off built into the tone pot if it remains in the circuit). "Bright" was popular in the 70's but I'm not sure that I need more of it now, particularly with my setup. Still, I'll bring a second amp online for the bridge pickup and see how the whole thing sounds - could be interesting.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic