KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Fretboard radii View next topic
View previous topic
KingSympRace X
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:52 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I noticed that there isn't anywhere in the guitar identification guide as to fretboard radius / radii of the different Carvin guitar eras.

I would swear that my '84 DC160 has a 12" radius, but I've seen many people post (on the kieselbbs) that all the old Carvins had 15" radii

The 15" didn't come until Carvin went to neck-thru construction in 1988, didn't it? I thought the set-necks of the '80s had 12". Mine is certainly just a bit rounder than my fairly new ESP LTD EC-1000ET (Evertune) that has a 14" radius, and it's certainly much rounder than my USA Steinberger which has a 16" radius, so I know the '84 DC160 isn't a 15" radius.

Anyways, if any of the moderators here read this, I myself wouldn't mind if a radius guide were added to the old guitars identification guide. I realize this would get complicated after the years when you could order different radii, but at least the info would be there.
alnico5
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:42 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a 1986 DC-125 with a 15" radius. I called Carvin years ago and asked. It is a set neck.

Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:29 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok, I just played a '86 V220 the other day, and it did indeed feel like it was a 15" radius. Pretty flat. The fretboard seems just oh-so slightly wider than my '84 DC160 too. So, did Carvin change the necks somewhere between '84 and '86?

I still swear my '84 is a 12" radius, and indeed it feels the same as the two Reverend's I own (Sensei and a Stu D. Baker) that are both 12".

How does one measure a fretboard radius to determine what it is?
alnico5
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:02 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

You can buy fret board radius gauges at Stew Mac or make them out of cardboard with a protractor. (If you REALLY want to know Very Happy )

Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:06 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I have the radius gauges and have measured my '86? DC160s. I am unsure of the year but I'm fairly certain that they are both 10". However it can be a bit tricky to determine even with the gauges.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic