KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Problem with XP800L powered mixer. View next topic
View previous topic
Dolebludger
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:24 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I bought this mixer new from Carvin in February, 2012. Prior to this purchase, I had previously bought two guitars, a bass,,two amps, an older model mixer, and some misc. parts from Carvin. All of this other gear has been great and tough as a Russian tank.

But I have a problem with the captioned powered mixer. Two days ago, I turned on my amp and this powered mixer to practice in my rather small music room. The mixer developed swelling feedback. Before I could get the small distance to shut it off and adjust it, it turned itself off and a whiff of smoke came out of the back vent. My past experience with powered mixers told me to check the fuse first., as I've had feedback induced fuse blowing on my previous powered mixers. I found for the first time that there WAS NO FUSE RECEPTACLE to be found.

I called Carvin service department and was told that this unit had a one year warranty (expired) and not the three year warranty given for power amps (even though this unit 's main component -- the one broken -- IS a power amp). I was told that this unit DOES have a fuse, but it is not user accessible (what? It sure didn't do its job, did it?). I was told I would have to ship the unit back at my expense and pay for shipping it back to me after repair ($60+), and that the average repair cost ran between $100 and $150. Or I could trade in the unit for a new one for $225 plus shipping to me. Keep in mind that this unit cost $329 plus shipping when I bought it. Also, I found that none of our local repair facilities will touch a Carvin.

First, I would like to ask if any of you have had this problem with any Carvin powered mixer -- the problem being that the fuse fails to blow causing internal heat damage from feedback.

Second, I seek some advice from those more experienced with power mixers than me. IMO, part of this is my own fault. Had I known that this unit didn't have a user accessible fuse I would not have bought it. I play only in small venues where feedback is a big problem , and had blown fuses on my previous powered mixer (an older model Carvin) frequently. I always carried a couple of spares. But I couldn't have known that the non-accessible fuse in this unit wouldn't protect the electronics and would allow them to heat up, smoke, and almost catch fire. So what should I do? The economics of this matter seem to indicate that I should trash the unit and buy one of another brand that does have an accessible and working fuse. The money involved does not justify getting into a fight with Carvin over whether the three year power amp warranty really should apply (I think it should), and whether the non-working fusing takes this matter out of the written warranty, and into the area of warranties imposed by statute. I tend toward just taking my lumps on this, and also crossing Carvin off my list of sources for new gear.

What do you think?
Dolebludger
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:56 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry about the triple post. I honestly have no idea how that happened.
alnico5
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:40 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I understand that surface mount technology is not very repairable although I can't say this is true. I also have an XP-800 and it has worked fine since 2010. However last night it kept shutting off at my gig and I was forced to use my X-60 amp for a PA. It all worked out fine. Today the PA head is performing OK so it may not be the PA. Mine is out of warranty also. I would have to consider another brand of PA head if it comes to that.

I must say that the XP has worked great and sounded fine up to now.

Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:01 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

alinco5:

Thanks for your reply. My Carvin powered mixer is still in the shop, so I know nothing more. People here in Durango are just generally slow at everything, even if they are getting paid when they finish a job!. As soon as I get a verdict from the tech, I will post it right here. But I do know that our local tech was surprised that this Carvin mixer had no cooling fan. While this mixer has been out of order, I dug out a very cheap spare Phonic brand, Chinese made, 100W/channel mixer. It not only has a cooling fan, but the fan speeds up at the onset of feedback.

In the meantime, advise I've gotten from a friend who once was the sound man for CSN&Y advised me to go with powered speakers and an "unpowered" mixer (meaning it contains a pre-amp only). I tried this on borrowed gear and prefer it, so no more XP800Ls for me.

And no more Carvin gear until my tech speaks. I am really rather insulted by Carvin's rather poor customer service in this matter of a long term, high dollar Carvin regular. If you look at Carvin's 1981 catalog, you will see that my endorsement of the DC 120 12 string electric is printed there. (Hint: I lived in Okla. City then.)

I will withhold further comment until I get a tech report on this mixer. Suffice it to say for now that if the tech confirms what I suspect, this thred could get interesting.
alnico5
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:57 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm also a long term Carvin user since the late 70s. I must say Carvin support and products have always met my needs. The XP800L mixer uses a class D amp and should run pretty cool with no fan. I hope your issues are resolved is satisfactory manner.

Curator: Carvin Museum of NY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:36 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I also have 1 of these XP800 units, but only use it at home, so its not being heavily tested - but gets used often. I thankfully havent been running into this shut off problem (yet).
But have either of you users noticed a scratchiness to the main volume? Probably a simple deoxit fix (if I can get to the pot), but just wondering if you've noticed that. (A couple of turns works it out, apparently, but its almost always initially there.)
alnico5
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:47 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't have a scratchy pot problem. I've taken the cover off my XP800L to have a look inside. I'm not sure the pots can be easily sprayed.

Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:09 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Just got my XL800P back from the independent tech. A surface mount board blew in the POWER AMP section (important -- more on this below). The tech called Carvin and asked if he could buy a new board, and Carvin told him "no". The only options were for me to send the unit back (I pay all shipping) and they would repair it for $195 (this price has gone up since I spoke with Carvin). Or Carvin will replace the mixer with a new one just like it for $225 (I pay all shipping). All this is very close to what I paid when I bought the mixer 20 months ago, and it has been used for practice only.

The tech (who does not sell mixers) advised against high-dollar replacement or repair, as he found the mixer to be highly under-engineered.

Back to the matter of power amp failure. My warranty card says power amps are warranted for TWO YEARS, while other things are warranted for one year. Of course, Carvin argues that this is not a power amp -- even though it is the power amp section that failed and the power amp is the most important part of this mixer. And it blew after just a few seconds of feedback. (Who has ever set up a PA without getting a bit of feedback?)

Of course, I'll write Carvin a scathing and documented letter and see what happens. I'm rather surprised that no Carvin rep has chimed in on this thread, considering the many $thousands I've spent on Carvin gear in past years. AND I INVITE ONE TO DO SO NOW.

No, I am not happy. Without a better resolution than what I've been offered, I will never buy/recommend Carvin again -- as I've done so many times in the past.

If all else fails (and I suspect it will) I am a retired litigation attorney and feel that a local jury would find that it is a power amp problem and thus covered by warranty -- of which Carvn is in breach.
Dolebludger
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:02 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, yeah, there is more to this story. My tech tried to buy a new surface mount board from Carvin to replace the blown one. Carvin refused to sell him one! So, if you have Carvin gear that is out of warranty (which I don't think mine is) and something malfunctions, Carvin won't let you buy needed parts. My tech said he could have fixed the unit for another $30 in labor plus the cost of the part. Instead, by hoarding its parts, Carvin sticks the customer with two way shipping charges plus their sky-high labor charges. This smells like an anti-trust violation to me

Any Carvin rep want to chime in now?
Dolebludger
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:35 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I never had a problem with the pots on my failed XP800L powered mixer, so I can't comment on that. But scratchiness on pots is a rather common problem -- usually fixed with spray contact cleaner. If this mixer's pots can't be accessed for cleaning in this manner, that is ANOTHER design defect in it.

After my last post I recalled that I had charged my purchase of this powered mixer on my Am Ex Platinum card. So even if Carvin is right (I don't think so) about my warranty being only one year, Am Ex gives me a second year, so I have made a claim under the Am Ex warranty. I've also written to Carvin's president about this situation. So, one way or another, I'll be covered. But if I do not get a favorable response from Carvin, I'll never buy from them again -- period.

And there is one thing I do not understand. This board is run and moderated by Carvin, right? Then where is Carvin's response to my complaint -- right here on their own board? Is Carvin too cowardly to discuss this situation right here?
wickid
Curator: Carvin Museum of NY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:05 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

This isnt the official Carvin Corp BBS. It happens to be run by the same guy who runs the one for the company - and many of the same members, but this is not official or owned by the company. Its more of a private BBS.

To be honest, given your complaint, however warranted, I dont think it'd last on the company board. They'd probably delete it and ask you contact cust service (which you've done). But it seems you are pursuing this in ways available to you.
peb
The PuppetMaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:10 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Dolebludger wrote:

......And there is one thing I do not understand. This board is run and moderated by Carvin, right? Then where is Carvin's response to my complaint -- right here on their own board? Is Carvin too cowardly to discuss this situation right here?

Wrong.

This board is "run" by the Carvin webmaster and all of the moderators here are volunteers; none of them employed by Carvin. It is not the official Carvin site. This site existed many, many years before the webmaster was hired by Carvin.

The biggest difference (and benefit) to this affiliated yet non-official site is that we're a bit more free-wheeling over here. There's a buy/sell/trade forum. There's the lounge where anyone can post just about anything (in reasonable taste). And, we can allow dis-satisfied Carvinites the freedom to vent and hopefully we all can learn something from experience and shared suggestions and solution.

So, I don't think Carvin's cowardly for not responding to your bait. It's more a matter of you're posting in the wrong place. If you want Carvin employees to see your complaint, then you need to post on the Carvin site. And I'm fairly sure it will be seen just long enough to be deleted. Moderating is much stricter on the Carvin board.

There's a way to post online and get some action from a company - threats aren't the way. Posting the subjective, unsubstantiated opinion of a repairman that a product is under-engineered isn't going to get it. Asignations of legal violations aren't likely to work. You might consider working toward a mutually agreeable solution rather than trying to beat your solution out of them.

So, I'll ask you to tone your responses down considerably if you continue to post.

peb

Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:19 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry, it was my mistake to think that Carvin was sponsor of this web site. That changes things quite a bit for me. The reason I thought Carvin was a sponsor had to to with all the links to "official Carvin sites" that are at the top of the homepage of this forum.

Nonetheless, I stand behind all I have said about the quality (or lack thereof) of this powered mixer. With the great Carvin gear I have bought in past decades, the poor performance on this mixer was a total shock to my system. And I don't make "idle threats", as I have asked many judges and juries to interpret warranties and contracts in my career. I had also tried to work this out by compromise (my favorite form of dispute resolution) before posting. My compromise attempts failed. And my local tech was checked out with a number of local musicians (of which we have many) before I consulted him. He repairs only SS gear, and sells nothing.

But I AM sorry for my mistake as to the nature of this forum. After I had tried compromise, I am not one to "baby" corporations that sell me defective products and take rather questionable positions on their warranties. I will not post this issue on the "official" Carvin board. I don't even know how to access it. And, as you say, they would delete a negative post immediately. That fact gives me even less confidence in Carvin than I had.

I have said all I have to say, except perhaps a report on the future outcome of this matter. And perhaps to say that my purchase history with Carvin is over, unless I get some positive response to my letter to its president.
Dolebludger
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:08 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Update:

I received a reply to my letter from Carvin on Nov. 29. Carvin agreed to repair the mixer AND pay the shipping AND warranty the repair for an additional year. I received a UPS return label from Carvin, and shipped the mixer to them yesterday. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised by all this.

The letter from Carvin also stated that Carvin DOES sell repair parts to indy repair shops, and that there must have been a misunderstanding about this between Carvin and my tech. I wouldn't know, as I wasn't privy to the phone conversation between my local tech and Carvin's tech dept. All I know is that in my town of 18,000 (about 1/4 of them musicians, it seems), word gets around quick about who is good and who isn't at things like electronic repair. The tech I used has a sterling reputation.

Only one question remains in this unfortunate matter. The fuse that protected the circuit board that "fried" WAS blown, but obviously didn't blow quickly enough to protect its circuit. I put the blown fuse in the shipping box with the mixer with a note to Carvin asking how this could have happened.
alnico5
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:07 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

alnico5 wrote:
I understand that surface mount technology is not very repairable although I can't say this is true. I also have an XP-800 and it has worked fine since 2010. However last night it kept shutting off at my gig and I was forced to use my X-60 amp for a PA. It all worked out fine. Today the PA head is performing OK so it may not be the PA. Mine is out of warranty also. I would have to consider another brand of PA head if it comes to that.

I must say that the XP has worked great and sounded fine up to
now.

I want to clarify that the XP-800L works fine. There was a bad plug-in at the gig.

Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:36 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, Carvin has repaired my mixer, and it seems to be working fine. It was all at no cost to me, and that is a plus. And, according to Carvin, the problem was a burned power amp board component, just like my local shop said. I am using it with powered PA speakers now (just using the pre amp portion of the mixer) so haven't really given the power amp the acid test. I like the powered speakers so much, I may never use the power amp function in the mixer again. But when it blew last OCT, the whole thing went dead, so I didn't have the option of plugging in active speakers to the pre amp jacks onlly.

One letter I got from Carvin was very emphatic that it WILL sell such parts to local shops. My local tech (who is very reputable) begs to differ, based on his experience. In any event, this mess is over, and I'm glad about it.
boogershome
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:31 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Now go away and never come back.
SlingBass
Just passing thru...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:04 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

+1 Rain

Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:50 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

You may want me to go away and never come back, but after the $thousands I've spent on new Carvin gear over the last three decades, I doubt that Carvin does.
MikeB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:35 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Dolebludger- I am having the same problem with the XP1000L mixer I bought after using it 5 times. I contacted Carvin and was told to replace the fuse. I had to take it to a tech because I couldn't make sense of the "internal fuse." The tech replaced the fuse and it blew immediately. He said there is something wrong with the power amps. Carvin said to send it to them and there would be a $75 bench fee since it is out of warranty. I just got a "sales quote" today saying it will be a $225 bench feel to continue troubleshooting the problem OR I can trade it in and get a new unit for $350. Looks very familiar to your situation.

I just sent an email to the service manager asking them to cover this under the 3 year "power amp warranty" or refund the original purchase amount.

Any advice on getting the same result that you were able to get with your mixer??

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic