KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Which bridge pickup for PB4? View next topic
View previous topic
Bob C
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:40 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a thread about this going at the carvin.com bbs, but I'll ask over here too.

Ordering a PB4 soon. I want a passive workhorse, but not a one trick pony. If I add a bridge pickup, which one should I choose? And what about the downside?

Who here owns one? Is the phasing (from pickup loading, or whatever) when full on a noticeable problem? I would likely always use the SCP pickup full, and occasionally add in a tad of bridge pickup.

Most of you are familiar with the debate: "PJ - Best of both worlds or large compromise?"

Same goes for the issue of singe coil hum. Carvin owners reports vary from "nonexistent" to "minimal" to unacceptable".

I own two Carvins (one late 90s and one early 80s) and a Peavey. But have never owned a P style bass. Now it's time. PB owners, what do you own? How do you like it?
tbonesullivan
New and Improved

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:33 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I went for the PJ. it's an awesome combo, and the pickups are well matched. Some may complain about hum from the J, but it's not a J without hum.

Effects: Boss OD-20, Carvin XP4, AC120, ODB-3, ISP Dec.
Bob C
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:11 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Reviving my old thread. Sad to say, I don't think anyone reads or posts at the museum any more, but here goes.

I ended up ordering an Aries bass. It's mostly traditional, but with a few modern features over the PB: 24 frets, no pickguard, radiused pickup at the bridge.

I really wrestled with whether to get a single coil at the bridge (which in the end, I did do). I hate the hum, but decided to take the chance, with the idea of replacing the pickup if I couldn't stand it.

What pushed me to this decision were the following:

1 PJ basses are alive and well. Most have the single coil J. There must be something to it. Not to mention all of the guitar players that live with single coils.

2 The single coil is reportedly louder than the humbucker, making it a better volume level match with the SCP.

3 I like the sound of the single coils just a bit better on the clips I've watched/heard.

The bass is estimated due to arrive in just over three weeks. I'm already looking into replacing the bridge pickup or implementing a noise gate or a Hum Debugger. But I shouldn't put the cart before the cart. The anticipation is doing strange things to my imagination.
emux2
Cryogenically preserved for your protection!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:05 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I just installed a scp and H50 into a friends Yamaha. I look forward to finding out how you like the single coil.
Bob C
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:55 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Me too. I went back and forth on this in my mind forever. I have H50A's in my LB70, so wanted to do something different for this build.

As I said, I like the single coil radiused pickups just a bit more than the (radiused) humbuckers in the videos I've seen. Granted, these are all clips of two RADs and no SCP.

Also, about the hum: I've been looking into noise gates, etc. But will cross that bridge when/if I come to it.

I'm just into week 9 of my wait. So, judgement day is near!

Thanks for your reply.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic