KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Carvin Audio going away? View next topic
View previous topic
hankwillow
Gone to the dogs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:04 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Got this email today:
"The Carvin Audio factory will be closing our doors, and we are liquidating our stock. Save 25% on most items with promo BIGSAVE. All sales are final."

Well, it was a good run. Guess I'd better sell all of my Carvin gear before parts and info are gone completely.

Anybody know what happened?

Rick
alnico5
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:10 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I have spent more $$ with Carvin over the last 40 years than all other music companies combined. I am not selling any amps or PA. They still work fine. I am sad. The end of an era.

Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:50 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, definitely going. Most of their stuff is out of stock. I'm going to be sure that I have copies of various schematics, so I can keep my amps running. No idea what caused it, other than the split possibly, or maybe the family being tired of the business. Who knows? Only the Kiesel family. At least the guitar arm isn't going away, though they did mention killing off their 22 pole pickups, so change is in the air.
Brian D
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:15 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

It was the split and we knew this was going to happen. I expected Carvin to sell their Amp/Audio business not outright close it. Oh well. They had a good run at it but once Lowell passed away it was a matter of time before the company would be split up.

Personally I don't have a solid market share for their guitar business either. I hate to see them go but I think Carvin's days are numbered. Watch for them to start discontinuing guitar models and reducing their stock.

Music
http://www.reverbnation.com/briand

Photography
www.briandphoto.net
tbonesullivan
New and Improved

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:21 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Kiesel guitars already released a statement about how the closing of the audio division doesn't affect them at all, and how they are only getting bigger etc. No idea how much of it is correct, or not.

However, that US made amplifiers/sound etc was an endangered species has long been known. While Carvin has made some great amps, their real money maker was the live sound and studio market, and that is an outright war. The stuff flooding out from outside the USA simply took the bottom out.

Look at how many companies produce most or all of their amplifiers "overseas" now? Ampeg. Marshall. Fender (Mexico). Peavey.

The list goes on.

What's sad is that they Carvin Audio was still actively posting very recently, so this is a surprise.

or maybe the "factory moving" thing for the audio factory was really "moving overseas".

Effects: Boss OD-20, Carvin XP4, AC120, ODB-3, ISP Dec.
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:55 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been enjoying my Quilter amp so much I was actually pondering selling my Carvin Vintage Series amps.
Now I'd better hang onto them. Both for sentimental reasons and to see if they become collectible in a few years! Laughing

Sad to see this happen, but not really surprised. Glad that Mark and Jeff are doing well making guitars.
Still waiting for my Aries build to ship. Smile

Carvin SH445, SH225, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, LB76F, Vintage 16, Nomad
Brian D
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:17 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Any bets they resurface as a new, boutique brand? Maybe Karsel for Carvin and Keisel.

By the way, I still have my TN-100. It isn't going anywhere. It was even a first generation TN-100.

Music

Photography
www.briandphoto.net
tbonesullivan
New and Improved

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:30 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I heard that Jeff on his webcast this morning said more about this. Basically Carson Kiesel wanted to retire, and no one in the family wanted to run an audio company. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason that Kiesel guitars split off originally. Who knows.

Maybe this forum will get a bunch more users now that the Carvin Forum is gone. Didn't take them long to take it down.

Brian D
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:45 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Is Kevio still the IT guru over there?

Music

Photography
www.briandphoto.net
tbonesullivan
New and Improved

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:27 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

As far as I know he still is. He still posts the announcements over at the Kiesel forum.

It should have been pretty telling that all the internet website/etc went with Kiesel, and Carvin audio had an almost thrown together looking website. It was like they were trying to keep it going with the minimum input.

Brian D
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:56 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

More like a burden to keep it going. Like I said, once the split was announced it was obvious that one of the two was going away. They had a big factory in San Diego that house both divisions.

I don't think their guitar business is that big. I fear for their survival. If a lot of guitars are made overseas, like the amps, then what? Outsource?

Music

Photography
www.briandphoto.net
BluesPicker
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:05 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, this was a real shocker to me as well. Iíve been running a Carvin Nomad as my main amp (with a Marshall DSL-40C as a back-up) for the past five or six years. Earlier this year, I bought the extension cab and shortly before the closure was announced, bought their powere 16 channel concert mixer. Much of this stuff is now sold out, so I am glad i got these while I could. I absolutely must download the schematics, however.

I lost interest in the Kiesel guitar line when the audio part was split. Quite frankly, I do not like the headless design or beveled stylings that they have been promoting for the past few years. And cost-wise, holy crap, so many of theor guitar are priced at near the $2000 to $3000 range. I just donít see the benefit of ordering one of these when you can get one of the other brands which will getch more money if traded or sold later on.

But I have been a huge fan of Carvin audio for decades. Their PA and guitar amp lines are among the best. One of my former bass players still has a Carvin bass amp stack that must be close to 40 years old.

Sad end of an era, for sure.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic