KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

What happened to "Carvin." View next topic
View previous topic
WAnzik
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:18 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

If you watch the video on the main site of the interview where they talk about the split from the Amp Division, Mark Kiesel and Jeff Kiesel both claim not to worry because they will continue to build Carvin guitars right along wit the Kiesel guitars. So what happened? You can't get a Carvin logo on anything anymore.

New and Improved

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:28 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

They stopped caring about the "Legacy Customers". Also with Carvin Audio now defunct, I can see a reason why they would not want to keep using the Carvin name. I mean, the name also came from Carson and Gavin Kiesel, neither of whom are involved with the guitar division anymore.

Still, I feel that the new Kiesel guitars really doesn't care about history, and wants to pretty much get rid of everything Carvin eventually. I've heard they are going to jack up the price on the bolt, probably so they can discontinue it in favor of Jeff's ugly "modern" designs that are about as innovative as making a new bread slicer in 2018.

Effects: Boss OD-20, Carvin XP4, AC120, ODB-3, ISP Dec.
WAnzik
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:08 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I think you're right. It's sad.

They've jacked the prices way up on everything. It's not custom guitars for the weekend warrior anymore.

If you watch that video, Jr. is saying everything made before he came along was junk. Those holes in the lobes aren't the only holes in his head.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:23 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I honestly feel the best era for Carvin/Kiesel was 1984 to 1993. I own a lot of those guitar and they are my favorites. I like and feel the quality has gotten better since 2015. I love my kiesel builds but love my vintage guitars more
alnico5
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:35 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I have my 1984 LB-40 bass, 1986 DC-125, and I just bought a 1981 DC-100. I am set. It is sad to see Carvin go away. They have been my guitar and amp company since 1978. I have no interest in the $$$ D'jent eye candy guitars Kiesel now makes. Such is life. I hope this site continues.

Standing on the Rock

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:43 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I think they are trying to get away from the stigma some people had of Carvin in the past being a "Mail Order" guitar. I can understand that, Digitech tried it with their "Hardwire" brand of pedals, once "Digital" became a bad word.
slayer
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:02 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

They definitely lied about still building Carvin guitars along side Kiesel guitars. I can feel the bitterness that Jeff has for that name. I have a 2017 JB200C with the Carvin name on it and it is flawless. I see the new in-stock JB`s have Kiesel on the headstock. They are wiping clean the Carvin name. Jeff is designing some seriously ugly guitars and the pricing has been rising extremely fast. He is trans forming the once great Carvin into his private Djent company. It kills me to watch this happening. I am probably done with new Kiesel guitars unless his attitude changes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:15 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's how I came to terms with it: The "Kiesel name" is finally honoring the man who created the company (Lowell), and the man (Mark) who headed up the revitalization of the guitars several decades ago, making it into the shop you knew for the last few decades.

The "Carvin" name shouldn't have to mean anything Mark or Jeff. It's named after members of the family that didn't have much of anything to do with the guitar line...in fact, they were once going to close the guitar division a few decades ago until Mark Kiesel stepped in/up.

Wouldn't keeping the name "Carvin" on their guitars, when CARson and gaVIN have nothing to do with the company, seem like nothing more than pandering, or banking on nostalgia?

And since no member of the family that stuck with Carvin Audio was wanting to continue (I can't remember if it was Carson or Gavin passed away years ago), and John (if I remember that name correctly), who was part of running the company, retired, and their kids didn't want to keep it running as it was...they folded. Can't hardly blame Kiesel to want to distance themselves from the name of a company that went out of business suddenly, cutting off all warranties, etc....and they probably had some inside information about that happening before any of us did.

Word is that there will always be at least some instrument with Carvin on the headstock to retain the Trademark. To keep someone else from using a company name, you have to show a bonafide effort to continue it's use...otherwise anyone could start up a new "Carvin Guitars" and make them overseas, no options, sold in Guitar Center, etc. So you can still get the Classic Bolt, the JB200C, and the PB basses with the Carvin logo (The PB, interestingly, was Jeff's first design to go into production). The reason you see so many JB200C with the Kiesel logo is because from the moment they launched Kiesel, they would let anyone put the Kiesel logo on anything that was branded as Carvin. They still do. It was never the other way, but some people request the Kiesel logo even on these models listed above.

If they let the "Carvin" name go and it was reused by someone unrelated, you'd still have lots of folks who would think that they are related to Kiesel, which has been running for I think 3 years now. Even though they don't use Carvin in much of their branding, people still ask them about amps all the time on social media. Imagine if there was a whole 'nother line of guitars out on the market that said "Carvin"!

Last edited by spudmunkey on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
spudmunkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:26 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

tbonesullivan wrote:

I've heard they are going to jack up the price on the bolt, probably so they can discontinue it in favor of Jeff's ugly "modern" designs

For what it's worth, it ended up going up $50, $40 of which would have been the cost to upgrade to stainless frets if one wanted those anyway.

Also, they just released the GH3 last year, which is as identical to the Bolt as you could possibly imagine, but with 24 frets. There's also the SH6, a semi-hollow version of the CT, and their bolt-on Solo. All three are more "classic" designs people have been requesting for years. I mean...their "tele" for decades was a 25" scale, 24-fret neck-through, and now it's finally a 25.5" bolt-on with a 22-fret option.

I've only been following them since '08, and I know they have a rich and storied history in the decades before...but from my own perspective, it seems like they are still giving new products that some of the "classic" players want, and also catering to a market they were never chased before with new products and designs.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic