KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

What happened to this place? View next topic
View previous topic
Mike in Colorado
Standing on the Rock

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:01 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Used to come here often, seems a ghost town now. Is this symptomatic of web bulletin boards in general or did something happen?
tbonesullivan
New and Improved

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:49 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Some stuff happened, years ago, due to certain members having an issue with the fact that Kevio became a Carvin and now Kiesel employee, running their website and BBS. Some BS ensued, and so forth.

Also, it was during a time when bbs's in general became less popular. I had HOPED that with the demise of Carvin audio and their forum, that people looking for information on Carvin amplifiers would come here, but it seems that is not the case, and is probably indicative of one of the reasons why Carvin audio ended up closing.

Effects: Boss OD-20, Carvin XP4, AC120, ODB-3, ISP Dec.
mge80
Howlin' Woof

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:52 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

In a nutshell, this BBS got shut down for a while. When it reopened, most had left and, to this day, have never returned.

As to the hows and whys, that's a long story to tell, but that's the gist of it.

Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:54 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I frequent the Kiesel BBS more often, though I'm visiting this place more and more, as the company drifts into the more modern era, and I remain firmly entrenched in the guitars of yore. Plus, I don't believe this is a company-owned forum, which lends itself to freer speech.
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:22 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

The other thing that happened is called facebook.

Carvin SH445, SH225, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, LB76F, Vintage 16, Nomad
spudmunkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:13 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

ElfDude wrote:
The other thing that happened is called facebook.

A few other boards I used to frequent more often had dwindled in participation once most turned to social media platforms. Facebook groups, mostly.
UnexplodedCow
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:33 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Unfortunately it seems to be true. I even look at the FB kiesel group, but often have little or nothing to add that isn't said by others. I'm a lurker there.
Park
Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:45 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Used to be a fun place.
Tripoutski
I did not go Country, Country got me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:28 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

UnexplodedCow wrote:
Plus, I don't believe this is a company-owned forum, which lends itself to freer speech.

Actually this statement did play a part in the whole deal. Kevio (the webmaster here) made this site out of passion. Back in the day the regulars here would banter, play, bash, be crude, rude, and all that stuff in a fun way. Kevin did such a great job on this site that when the Carvin webmaster position came up (and that place was run with a heavy hand at the time), Kevin got the call. When that happened he had to (and rightly so) tighten this place up a bit as he was now a representative of Carvin. Ultimatly the "shutdown" was a result of that and a few other things that were building.

When this site was on hiatus, a bunch of us rowdies made a secret forum headed up by grayta. It was quite active for years and when he moved on I built another one. For a while is was very active as well, but as most here have alluded to, FB ultimately trumped it (as it has pretty much every music-related board that I have bookmarked - including manufacturer boards). My board is still active, but no one really goes there anymore. We all keep in contact other ways. Heck, even messaging groups on our phones plays a part in it all. Technology moves fast!

Nonethelessivness, the low traffic here for the most part is a reflection of changing times. That's my $0.02 (and my first post here in a loooong time)!

-Trip
UnexplodedCow
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:45 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah, that's a lot of history I missed. I'd heard mention of this forum going dark, but it was long before my time on here. It seems to be slow, with most of the action in the for-sale section. Some cool deals there, so I at least look at that.

I'm all for being crude, but some of the things I see on FB (what I'd call overly profanity-laden spouting off) doesn't sit well with me, and the discussions seem to more quickly cycle through the standard topics than they otherwise would on a forum. Searching previous topics is also nonexistent.

I'm sure something even better than FB as we know it will come along (hopefully). In the meantime, I'll still visit forums and prefer them. Thanks for the history lesson, Trip.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic