KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Headless GUitars View next topic
View previous topic
Mike in Colorado
Standing on the Rock

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:46 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been out of the Carvin loop for a bit, and now I see them promoting all these headless models. I didn't know anybody played headless guitars other than Holdsworth and Bill & Ted.

Anybody like them? What advantages, other than not being neck heavy, are there?
spudmunkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:32 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Mike in Colorado wrote:
I have been out of the Carvin loop for a bit, and now I see them promoting all these headless models. I didn't know anybody played headless guitars other than Holdsworth and Bill & Ted.

Anybody like them? What advantages, other than not being neck heavy, are there?

The people who like them love 'em. They aren't for me because I'm a fat guy and it would look like a fanny pack strapped to my chest, but I'd love to give one a try sometime.

+ Great for tight stages and cramped rehearsal spaces. Easier to play in more places.
+ More likely to fit in a plane's overhead compartment or a small car trunk. The case is like a large violin case. You could even sit in the back seat of a car with it on your lap without too much issue.
+ Lighter, especially if you've got shoulder or back pain...or want to prevent shoulder or back pain.
+ Other "travel" guitars are often short scale, or made cheaply. This is a guitar that is still a full-scale instrument with full electronics and made to the standards of any of their other "full-size" models.
+ Some just like to experiment with new things, and some just like the look.

At least those are the most common replies I've seen around.

Again...not for me.
tbonesullivan
New and Improved

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:50 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

For some people, they are the bees knees. For others, they don't work.

There are some guitars I have had that due to having a headstock, can have some strange dead notes and resonance issues. Not having one eliminates that possibility.

on the other hand, I'm often reading about issues with the grub screws that lock down the strings. Sounds like they aren't using hardened steel for the entire locking mechanism.

Effects: Boss OD-20, Carvin XP4, AC120, ODB-3, ISP Dec.
UnexplodedCow
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:19 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

A late reply from me, but here goes....

Mine weighs a scant 5.5 pounds (unchambered, mahogany and maple). I went with the original neck-thru model (Vader). I like neck-thru, and the body shape is very close to the Steinberger M design (which I love).

The arm bevel is extremely comfortable, overall access is great. I can play it just about anywhere since it's so compact, and the overall sustain is better than any other guitar I own. Tuning stability is excellent, and the neck just doesn't move around (even compared to other neck thru Carvins).

The downside: I'm not totally sold on the softshell case, but it's far from a bad one. I got the original type with the zero fret; ultimately they do get a little grooved from constant string pressure. The original saddles had grooving issues as well, which Hipshot has since solved.

I read about a bass owner having a grub screw issue. I've had zero issues with my guitar, though I believe the headpiece is either aluminum or brass, so I wouldn't be surprised if the threads strip over time.

Later revisions of this model went with a nut instead of zero fret, and people seem to be happier for it (I probably would be, too). Overall, though, it's a go-to piece for me, because it's small and out of the way. Yes, it looks a little silly on me, as I'm fairly tall/large (6'3" 220 pounds), but it works. Wish it had a vibrato on it, but that hadn't come out yet. Maybe I'll get one with a whammy later on.

As for having no headstock, I slid off the neck a total of 1 time when getting too feisty on stage. I wound up also snagging a string end with my finger, which resulted in bloody strings (and a swap when the set was over). Could be a downside, or something to help the hard-core seem even more cutting edge.

Overall, a great guitar; functional without all the waste of a more traditional design. I'm a form follows function type of person, so I'd even like a Gittler.
spudmunkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:35 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

UnexplodedCow wrote:
I wound up also snagging a string end with my finger, which resulted in bloody strings (and a swap when the set was over). Could be a downside, or something to help the hard-core seem even more cutting edge.

Have you tried the trick of installing the string, cutting it, then loosening the set screw, turning the tuner slightly to pull it back a tiny bit, then tightening the set screw and tuning up? From what I understand, that's how they do it in the factory and should get the end of the string recessed (not just flush) from the surface.
UnexplodedCow
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:05 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I play DR tite fits mostly, which are a round core string, and they will unravel a bit when trying to do that. I tried once with them, and basically ruined a set of strings. My resolution is to simply avoid the top area just in case, as well as use a different set of cutters that clips much more closely. So far no issues.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic