KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

You guys and all your... View next topic
View previous topic
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:24 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

... talk about semi-hollow guitars. And then telling me that my AE185 doesn't count! Mad

So, I just won an auction for one of these on eBay. I'll post more about it later.

Kiesel Aries, Carvin CS6M, SH445, SH225, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, LB76F, Vintage 16, Nomad
fish
Museum Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:42 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

It would be neat to see Carvin make a guitar like this style someday.
but i still think the AE185 is better.

that is a fine looking guitar my friend. worth the sale I am sure

Tazmo
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:16 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Sometimes I don't understand what all the fuss is about. With digital hocus-pocus and all the different plug-ins, processors and modelers out there, you can get a cigar box strung with rubber bands to sound like just about anything you'd need!
SirFreakOfTheInk
Country Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:07 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Sometimes I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Ancient proverb:
He who dies with the most toys wins. Wink

Very nice axe, ElfDude...is that a Gibson?
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:31 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

SirFreakOfTheInk wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Ancient proverb:
He who dies with the most toys wins. Wink

Very nice axe, ElfDude...is that a Gibson?

No. No budget for a Gibson. My kids will have to grow up and leave home before I'm buying those I'm afraid. Smile

Kiesel Aries, Carvin CS6M, SH445, SH225, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, LB76F, Vintage 16, Nomad
SirFreakOfTheInk
Country Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:53 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

ElfDude wrote:

No. No budget for a Gibson. My kids will have to grow up and leave home before I'm buying those I'm afraid. Smile

Yeah really, I've seen MF's Gibson prices and almost went into shock! Shocked

So, who makes that cool axe?
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:07 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay, here's the story. I'm taking a gamble on a brand that I'd never heard of. Fortunately, the price was low enough that it's not MUCH of a gamble. Smile

After lots of eBay searches for "semi-hollow" there turned out to be a lot of brands, some that looked great and some that looked terrible. Tim, I agree, Heritage is probably one of the very best bangs for the buck out there, but I only had a couple-hundred bucks to play with.

I'd been thinking a lot about an Epiphone dot... just doing a pickup swap afterwards. Or maybe an SX guitar, as they look like they're probably made on the same factory line as the Epi's.

Anyway, I stumbled across this thing called "New York Pro". There's a typical Asian brand name for you. Smile Anyway, it looked very pretty, and the price was rock bottom. So I checked out the harmony-central reviews. There were 8 for that model... one basically said, "Meh" and the other seven were absolute rave reviews. Hmmm...

Well, the seller runs a music store that sells a lot of different stuff, including the Epi dots, so I decided to ask him how they compared. Since the Epi's are more than twice the price his response surprised me.

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in our auction! Honestly, this guitar is better than an Epi Dot! The name isn't as recognizable but the quality is better. We have sold dozens of these guitars and have not had a single complaint! Check out this link... http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/New+York+Pro/335+Clone/10/1 . You will definitely be impressed with the look, feel, quality and sound of this guitar, I have no doubt! Thanks again and please feel free to email us any other questions you have. I'll be more than happy to help you however I can.

Well, I'd already checked out the link he gave me. But could it be? Better quality (including sound) than one of the biggest selling Asian semi-hollows out there for less than half the dough? Well, after a few more questions to the seller, I went for it. The price? A whopping $159.99 plus $35 for shipping. The whole thing for under $200.
So, I either just got an awesome deal or bought a piece of junk from a liar. I guess we'll know in a week or so. It sure looks sweet though. Smile

Last edited by ElfDude on Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tazmo
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:09 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I'll stick with these.

Last edited by Tazmo on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
SirFreakOfTheInk
Country Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:28 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I'd been thinking a lot about an Epiphone dot... just doing a pickup swap afterwards. Or maybe an SX guitar, as they look like they're probably made on the same factory line as the Epi's.

I'm most likely going to go with something from Rondo Music for my next GAS fix. But with ADD and GAS combined that could change a few times. Embarassed

Yes, it sure does look nice. Let us know what ya think of her when it arrives and you get a chance to test it out. Smile
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:58 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, it's currently scheduled to arrive on Friday. I have a gig that day too, for the American Cancer Society. If it arrives, do I dare pull it straight from the box and try it in front of people? Shocked

SirFreakOfTheInk
Country Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:26 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
If it arrives, do I dare pull it straight from the box and try it in front of people?

If you do, you have more testicular fortitude than me. Arrr!
damian
Museum Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:23 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I for one am most interested to see how you go. I've been eyeing the LP copies from Rondo for months. I know they aren't top quality guitars, but the temptation to buy that AL-3000 which I can land for $650ish or a CT3 which will set me back about $1800, makes it a tough choice. Unlike Gobson with Agile I get exactly what I want spec wise, and of course for a fraction of the $. Question is will it be satisfying ? And that's what you will face when you get yours.

Anyway, very exciting.

Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:04 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, it's here. I'm at work and it has arrived. Since I'm at work I can't really go into much detail. The appearance is beautiful. The finish is very nice. The strings are cheap. The frets aren't sharp or pokey at the edges, which is nice. The neck has a comfortable C shape. There is one minor blemish. I just sent the following to the vendor:

Quote:
The guitar arrived. UPS didn't damage it. It is beautiful to the eye. I'm at work so I haven't had a chance to thoroughly check it out yet.

I do see a dent in the fretboard right below the 7th fret. I don't think it's deep enough to affect playability, but it's still a dent in a new instrument, y'know. If I decide it's going to bug me, what is your return policy?

I'll be driving straight from work to a gig. I am sorely tempted to try this guitar out in front of an audience...

ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:30 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I did it! I took it to the show and played the fisrt several songs of the set iwth it. And I had a blast! It needs a little setup work but I'm really happy with the playability over all. While the pickups have a very nice sound, they're a lot quiter than my Carvin guitars. When I finally switched to my DC135 it was so LOUD! Smile

So, I think it's a keeper. Someday I'll swap the pickups. It has a great look. Really pretty. Good guitar for all the oldies we do. Its obviously not a really high end guitar but it's price:performance ratio is tremendous. Smile

Last edited by ElfDude on Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
SirFreakOfTheInk
Country Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:38 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad it's a keeper! Good deal. Applause
tambokgt
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:01 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

..put some classic 57s in it Mr. Green

....and some flatwounds. I have Gibson Flatwires .11s installed and it sounds heavenly for jazz and blues.

jfine
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:03 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I had a student a couple of years ago who had a New York Pro--yours is the only other one I've ever heard of. His was a full hollow body jazz guitar, double cutaway (pointed on the bass side, rounded on the treble side, sort of a cross between an L-5 and a Barney Kessel), two humbuckers (but only the neck one worked!), cherry sunburst, pretty typical Chinese-made guitar. He said he got it in a pawn shop in San Francisco. We both did web searches for "New York Pro", couldn't find anything, but I did find the almost identical guitar to his under the "Stellar" brand name as a single-cutaway. There's one identical to yours on their website--it's called a Mercury 009.
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:11 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

jfine wrote:
I had a student a couple of years ago who had a New York Pro--yours is the only other one I've ever heard of. His was a full hollow body jazz guitar, double cutaway (pointed on the bass side, rounded on the treble side, sort of a cross between an L-5 and a Barney Kessel), two humbuckers (but only the neck one worked!), cherry sunburst, pretty typical Chinese-made guitar. He said he got it in a pawn shop in San Francisco. We both did web searches for "New York Pro", couldn't find anything, but I did find the almost identical guitar to his under the "Stellar" brand name as a single-cutaway. There's one identical to yours on their website--it's called a Mercury 009.

I seem to remember the harmony-central reviews of Stellar guitars being less favorable than the ones I saw of the New York Pro...
But I could be wrong. It's been a while since I looked at 'em.

As to the 57 classic pickups... that could be nice. They'd cost more than I spent on the guitar. Smile I was actually thinking about Carvins. Or maybe some GFS or Bill Lawrence P-90's.

Last edited by ElfDude on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:17 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, here she is live last Friday. My brother there is playing his Treker (sp?) guitar.

T-Bone-BBQ
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:16 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

ElfDude wrote:
Well, here she is live last Friday. My brother there is playing his Treker (sp?) guitar.

Very cool. Nice looking guitar. I think putting a set of Carvin pups in there will sound really nice. Applause

"I can't win...'cause I don't have a thing to lose" - Buddy Guy

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic