KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Stage Fright View next topic
View previous topic
BlueParrot
Museum Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:44 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I read the "before you go to jam night" link and found it very interesting. I am wondering if anyone would care to share how they overcame their stage fright or how they stepped up on stage for the first time or how you make the leap from living room to jamming with other people to getting up on stage. I am especially interested in how to get together with others to start playing original tunes. I don't think it would be too scary to do "covers" once you knew them but I still think it would be scary to get on stage.
RyanF
Carvin Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:53 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

BlueParrot wrote:
I read the "before you go to jam night" link and found it very interesting. I am wondering if anyone would care to share how they overcame their stage fright or how they stepped up on stage for the first time or how you make the leap from living room to jamming with other people to getting up on stage. I am especially interested in how to get together with others to start playing original tunes. I don't think it would be too scary to do "covers" once you knew them but I still think it would be scary to get on stage.

I was nervous as hell before my first gig. But after we started playing, all the nervousness went away and I nailed everything. Smile Just stay focused.

Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:23 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

... after further thought, I think it's easier to just say, "Go For It!" and have fun. Everything will be alright. Mr. Green

Last edited by ps on Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Russ
Seeking qualified therapist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:21 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I'll throw in my 2 cents...

The "situation" is probably more of a determining factor than anything else, IMHO...I think absolutely nothing of getting on stage with a classic rock cover band, whether I "know" the tune cold or not. I'm aware of my strengths and my limitations, and although I might "miss" here or there, I know from first hand experience that it's not vital to the existence of humanity. (Don't get me wrong, I strive for excellence). Thing is, you're playing in a bar. People are drinking, dancing, and having a good time. Flubbing a run here or there isn't noticed (okay, there ARE tunes that humanity knows how it goes, so, playing wrong notes in say the riff from Day Tripper or Satisfaction, well, hey).

Now, would I even ponder showing my face in a Jazz environment? HELL NO. Although I'll mess around with it, it's far beyond my limitations of my knowledge and abilities.

How do you combat stage fright? Get on stage...It won't take long at all before you settle in, realize that the audience are people having a good time, and you'll very quickly join them in having a good time, and all will be well. You'll play fine, you'll sound fine, and you'll feel fine...
Stonewall
Museum Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:32 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Concentrate on your playing, and the rest of your band. Smile, strive for a good performance, and before you know it the jitters will pass.

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Equipment:
Magic Bolt
The Gonad
SirFreakOfTheInk
Country Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:49 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Picture the audience in their underwear. The ones you think are really attractive....picture 'em naked.
Worked for me.
Mr. Green
ps
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:41 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Russ wrote:
I'll throw in my 2 cents...

The "situation" is probably more of a determining factor than anything else, IMHO...I think absolutely nothing of getting on stage with a classic rock cover band, whether I "know" the tune cold or not. I'm aware of my strengths and my limitations, and although I might "miss" here or there, I know from first hand experience that it's not vital to the existence of humanity. (Don't get me wrong, I strive for excellence). Thing is, you're playing in a bar. People are drinking, dancing, and having a good time. Flubbing a run here or there isn't noticed (okay, there ARE tunes that humanity knows how it goes, so, playing wrong notes in say the riff from Day Tripper or Satisfaction, well, hey).

Now, would I even ponder showing my face in a Jazz environment? HELL NO. Although I'll mess around with it, it's far beyond my limitations of my knowledge and abilities.

How do you combat stage fright? Get on stage...It won't take long at all before you settle in, realize that the audience are people having a good time, and you'll very quickly join them in having a good time, and all will be well. You'll play fine, you'll sound fine, and you'll feel fine...

Totally agreed.

When I was playing in my early rock bands, I didn't give it a second thought. I only felt anticipation. Once I got neck deep in a Classical Guitar degree...totally different ball game. I was a complete wreck, for years.

It's the old "smooth waters never made a skillful sailor" analogy, though. You aren't going to get past it in the living room. Hit the stage. Crank it up! Let 'er rip!

Last edited by ps on Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
grayta
Museum Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:50 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

It helps to start early. I was so young and unaware my first gig-I thought I was the next coming and didn't care what anyone else thought. Fear wasn't a factor. Wink

By the time I matured enough to know how bad I was, I wasn't afraid of the stage (and knew how to hide in a mix Wink ).

www.timgray.info
www.sonicanthem.com
Brian D
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:57 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Simple...

Know your material, trust your equipment, trust your abilities.

Music
http://www.reverbnation.com/briand

Photography
www.briandphoto.net
grayta
Museum Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:58 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Brian D wrote:
Simple...

That's, oddly enough, also how you teach. Smile

www.timgray.info
www.sonicanthem.com
eudaimonia
Oh, the thinks you can think if only you try!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:09 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to have stage fright and hated public speaking.

I distinctly remember my first live performance in a band. (I'd had recitals from my music lessons, which never bothered me.) My band played our school's battle of the bands, which typically drew at least 500-600 people, including, of course, a large number of my classmates.

Since we were playing industrial metal, I dressed in this over-the-top freaky style. I remember when I walked in, some guy asked me, "What the hell are you?" I said, "I'm Satan the Clown." But when I got up on stage, any cockiness was gone. I was pretty scared. Our first song was a cover of Nine Inch Nail's "Wish". Even though we weren't allowed to curse, there's a certain part of that song where Reznor sings "fist f*ck", and I sang those words loudly and clearly in front of my teachers, classmates, and classmates' parents.

Ever since then, I've had very little fear of public speaking or performances. When my band later started playing gigs pretty regularly (after we dropped the girls from the band and became something more like Tool), I didn't have any issues.

The PuppetMaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:09 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

SirFreakOfTheInk wrote:
Picture the audience in their underwear. The ones you think are really attractive....picture 'em naked.
Worked for me.
Mr. Green

That didn't work for me........I had trouble, uh, concentrating Wink

peb

Museum Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:11 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

peb wrote:
SirFreakOfTheInk wrote:
Worked for me.
Mr. Green

That didn't work for me........I had trouble, uh, concentrating Wink

peb

Wasn't your first gig at an all boys' school? Think

Wink Mr. Green

www.timgray.info
www.sonicanthem.com
peb
The PuppetMaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:25 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Jealous? Stir the Pot Laugh Hard

Believe it or not, the first gig was actually at an all GIRLS school - kind of an exclusive prep school type thing. OMG! 14 year old boys with raging hormones playing for 14 - 18 year girls........... Shocked Shocked Shocked Woot Applause

peb

Museum Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:03 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey peb...

...was loading in and out with those horse and carriages back then as bad as I've heard it was?!? Eh?

Razz
Thundernotes
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:32 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Contrary to popular belief, avoid prior consumption of "liquid courage". It won't make you play better, no matter what anybody tells you.

If you f!@# up, just smile and keep on playing! Cool
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:40 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Brian D wrote:
Simple...

Do bandmates count as equipment? It helps a lot when you can trust them as well. Smile

Kiesel Aries, Carvin CS6M, SH445, SH225, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, LB76F, Vintage 16, Nomad
peb
The PuppetMaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:41 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

flake wrote:
Hey peb...

...was loading in and out with those horse and carriages back then as bad as I've heard it was?!? Eh?

Razz

Naw, pretty much the same as what we do now with them new-fangled "horseless" carriages - unless, of course, the horse also did a load out then eeeeewwwwwwwwww d'oh!

What was worse was tryin' to find a place to plug in my electric geetar before ol' Benny Franklin discovered that there electricty thing....... Cuss

peb

Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

ElfDude wrote:
Brian D wrote:
Simple...

Do bandmates count as equipment? It helps a lot when you can trust them as well. Smile

Point well made, well made.

Music
http://www.reverbnation.com/briand

Photography
www.briandphoto.net
Bundy
Alive again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:17 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Stage fright gets considerably less intense after the first 500 gigs. After 1K, they drag you kicking and screaming off the stage. Mr. Green

I'll mend myself before it gets me...

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic