KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Fluxtone Speaker View next topic
View previous topic
Chongo
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:38 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

At the Amp Show in LA yesterday. This is a speaker with a Variable Magnet Technology. Without getting into the techno-crap, this is a speaker that will allow you to cut the volume output by 25 dB of SPL without adding to or subtracting from your tone. The guy had this mounted in an amp, and had one of the showgoers playing guitar. They got a tone (loud) that he liked, and then the guy started turning down one of the pots. The tone stayed exactly the same, just started dropping in volume until it was well below bedroom volume. That allowed you to hear the jaws dropping on the carpet.

Jaws dropped again when he told everyone what the initial price would be ($850 for the speaker and the controller) for early adopters. It will no doubt drop like an iPhone once they get some production quantities going.

They have it available mounted (with the controller; you have to plug that into the wall as well) in a few different styles of speaker cab, or you can just buy the speaker and controller and adapt it to your own. Standard 12" speaker mounting...

Here's the speaker (foreground, with a regular speaker in the background):

This is one of the speaker cabs they have it pre-mounted in:

And this is the controller:

Fluxtone Speakers
301 E. Cannon St.
Lafayette CO 80026
303-665-9872 (Steve Carey)
www.fluxtonespeakers.com <-- Note, this is not a working website, just a parked URL for now. It's just what was on their card... You may have to use snail mail (or the phone) to contact them for now.
Tripoutski
I did not go Country, Country got me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:49 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Interesting as all get-out. Feed me the techno garbage! This is cool. Put it on a MIDI controller and it is a done deal for me!
tbonesullivan
New and Improved

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:36 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

wow... from the looks of that, it must weigh a ton!

now the question is: how does it work? where does the extra energy go? heat?

Effects: Boss OD-20, Carvin XP4, AC120, ODB-3, ISP Dec.
Chongo
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:48 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

animephreak wrote:
wow... from the looks of that, it must weigh a ton!

now the question is: how does it work? where does the extra energy go? heat?

I thought that as well, and picked up both that speaker and the one behind it, and there really wasn't much to choose from in terms of weight.

It doesn't develop any extra heat. It works because they can vary the flux of the magnet in the speaker. You know that there are efficient and inefficient speakers out there. This essentially turns the speaker in to an inefficient speaker in a big way.
Chongo
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:01 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm told that the website is actually at www.fluxtone-speakers.com and that there's a blog at blog.fluxtone-speakers.com, and that they'll have the web address on their cards (www.fluxtonespeakers.com) pointed at the other site when they get back from LA.
fluxtone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:18 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

This is Steve Carey, President of FluxTone Speakers. We have gotten production quantities going...not only have we added two new 10" speakers for you folks, we also added two new 100 watt 12" speakers. All four of these new speakers are $550 with a power supply to address the "it costs too much" concern. Check the website for more details.

Thanks for the interest in our products!

Steve Carey
President FluxTone Speakers
sirmyghin
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:59 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I must not of been around when this started but these are pretty interesting speakers there, Thanks for the info Steve, if I stop being a poor college student in the near future I could see one of these being very enjoyable for apartment playing.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic