KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Need help trying to help a younger bass player View next topic
View previous topic
SirFreakOfTheInk
Country Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:55 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Not sure if the subject makes sense, it does in my mind but that doesn't count. Tongue Spin

Anyway....I was talking to a friend's son the other day and he said he wanted to get new strings for his acoustic-electric bass.
My knowledge of AEBs is limited to say the least.

Here's what I know:

He doesn't like the "gold" ones and would like to get "silver" ones. (I'm assuming he means the standard phosphor bronze strings and wants nickel or stainless steel.)

The bass is a Dean 5 string. Not sure of the model, but pretty sure it's 34 inch scale.

I've checked a few sites and see only phosphor bronze for AE basses.
Are there nickel strings for these or can he use a light gauge electric bass set?
sirmyghin
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:26 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

you can use electric strings if you want, won't carry the same sound and if light enough I do not think tension will be a problem. Bought all you will find for 'silver' strings I think. I've never seen a non bronze acoustic string
Tripoutski
I did not go Country, Country got me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:32 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Essentially what you have described is that he does not like his strings based on the color of them. I am sure that this is not the case, but without actual details (feel, sound, etc.) there is nothing we can do but say "Take a Sharpie to them" to change the color! See if you cannot dig into the details. AEB or not, the premise of strings and feel and sound are concepts that we all understand. Ask the questions!
SirFreakOfTheInk
Country Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:21 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Called him a few hours ago and found out what he doesn't like about them.
He said that after a couple weeks the "gold" strings corrode and he doesn't like how they look. The only thing I could tell him was that I wipe the strings down and use Fast Fret after each use, but I'm not sure if the Fast Fret should be used on bronze. I know that bronze will lose its shine by exposure to the elements (oxidation?) but have no idea what he could use on the strings.

I've done some work on one of his electric basses, and had to clean a lot of funk off the fretboard and frets. The AEB is probably the same way. He said that it's going to get new strings soon, so I told him just to wipe them down and not put anything on them until I asked my knowledgeable friends at the Carvin Museum forums.

Is there anything he can use to keep the next set from losing their shine?
sirmyghin
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:49 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

shine goes but fast fret will take the green off the strings pretty well, used to use it on my acoustic.
Tripoutski
I did not go Country, Country got me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:01 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I wonder what kind of strings they are. I played around with copper strings some time ago. They sounded fine, but they lost their shine in a day or two and the worst part was that every time I played the bass my hands came away smelling like I was playing with a handful of pennies all day. I grew to hate those things.

All strings will loose sheen. The best advice is above: wipe them down and keep it cased when not in use.
SirFreakOfTheInk
Country Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:24 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I wonder what kind of strings they are.

I didn't ask him that, trying to communicate with him can be challenging at times. He's 20 and has already written and recorded a lot of music, won a few battle of the band things, etc. and gets a little 'tude once in a while when this "old dog" tells him something. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
shine goes but fast fret will take the green off the strings pretty well, used to use it on my acoustic.

Thanks, I wasn't sure how well it would work on the bronze. I'll pass the info on. Smile
tbonesullivan
New and Improved

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:12 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

These days it doesn't take much to win a battle of the bands. I'd really question how serious a musician he was if he wanted to use different bass strings based completely on their appearance.

Effects: Boss OD-20, Carvin XP4, AC120, ODB-3, ISP Dec.
SirFreakOfTheInk
Country Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:20 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I'd really question how serious a musician he was if he wanted to use different bass strings based completely on their appearance.

I'm not sure how serious he is. The music related topics are limited to gear, setup, and maintenance as much as possible. Even then it's a guess as to whether my advice is listened to or not, I'm considered old.
sirmyghin
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:14 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

SirFreakOfTheInk wrote:
Quote:
I'd really question how serious a musician he was if he wanted to use different bass strings based completely on their appearance.

I'm not sure how serious he is. The music related topics are limited to gear, setup, and maintenance as much as possible. Even then it's a guess as to whether my advice is listened to or not, I'm considered old.

Thats the attitude of modern musicians. I played some battle of the band type scenarios but it seemed (where I was from) they came down to popularity contests and other musicians would get angry because your music was either better or you could outplay them, even though they would win as their style was the hip one. Kind of pisses you off when you say hey you played well and all they do is grunt in return..
Russ
Seeking qualified therapist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:23 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Trip, you're surely referencing the D'Addario XL Reds...Man, I LOVED those, for about 2 days...

I really can't add anything. My acoustic strings get dull looking quickly, but as long as they sound good and bright and stay in tune, I really don't give a crap what they look like...I have an incredibly acidic touch though...
SirFreakOfTheInk
Country Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:49 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
...I have an incredibly acidic touch though...

Maybe that's why my guitar strings look like crap 15 minutes after putting them on. Even wiping them down and using Fast Fret before AND after playing doesn't help. Never had that problem with bass...weird. Eh?

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic