KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Arpeggios - switching fingers as late as possible View next topic
View previous topic
SculptureOfSound
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:31 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's a technique not often mentioned but one that can really make your playing sound much smoother and flow better. Often times when moving from one arpeggio to another we either lift unnecessary fingers or move the fingers before needed.

For instance, try playing the following multiple times. Let all notes ring.
Code:

-   6     7     6     7
-  7     7     7     7
- 8     8     8     8                repeat
-9     9     9     9
-
-

The index finger should NOT move from 6 until 7 until the pick is going to strike the high E string on the second arpeggio, and should NOT move back down from 7 to 6 until you are again about to strike the high E string. Moving it any sooner stops that note from ringing.

That's a fairly simple example. I'm sure a lot of you already do that. But what about a more complex example?

Try playing the following - (fingering is indicated under the tab, 1 = index, 2 = middle, 3 = ring, 4 = pinky) All the notes should be played at a constant pace (eighth notes), and you should let each arpeggio ring out
Code:

-  6    8      6      5
-    7    7      7      6
-           8      8      7
-
-
 1 2 3  4 2 3  2 3 4  1 2 3

Now, the thing to note is the last two arpeggios. 6,7,8 down to 5,6,7. This does NOT require any kind of position shift (note the indicated fingering.) The goal is to play 6,7,8 and continue to let 7 and 8 ring out when you then hit 5 with the index finger. Play to a metronome and play very slow, as your fingers will have a natural tendency to want to lift. I find that my ring finger tries to lift when i lift my second finger, and it will take some time and a lot of focus to overcome that habit.

So play 6,7,8 and let them ring. Now, lift the 2nd finger from the 6th fret, but do not lift or alter pressure with fingers 3 and 4! Strike the 5th fret which is being fingered by the index finger, and continue to let the 7th fret of the third string and 8th fret of the fourth string ring.

Now, as you move finger 2 from the 6th fret of the 2nd string to the 6th fret of the 3rd string, lift finger 3 from the third string just as finger two comes down on the 6th fret. Be careful not to lift your pinky from the 8th fret of the third string.

Now, the only finger that should be in the air is the third finger. As you move that from string 3 to string 4, be careful not to lift or release pressure from your pinky. You want to keep the note the pinky is playing ringing out. Again, just as the 3rd finger strikes the 7th fret of the fourth string, then and only then lift the pinky from the 8th fret.

There are of course many places where moving the fingers at the last possible moment and letting the previous arpeggio ring while you start the new one sounds good and much smoother than if you lifted your fingers. Hope this helps!

"For it is a truth which the experience of ages has attested, that the people are always in danger most when the means of injuring their rights are in possession of those whom they entertain the least suspicion."

-Alexander Hamilton
SculptureOfSound
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:53 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I'll try to add sound or video clips later when i get home from work. I'll also post an "advanced fingering" that allows an even smoother transition between the notes, although it's extremely difficult to play properly at higher speeds.

"For it is a truth which the experience of ages has attested, that the people are always in danger most when the means of injuring their rights are in possession of those whom they entertain the least suspicion."

-Alexander Hamilton
sirmyghin
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:48 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I will have to try this looks interesting.
SculptureOfSound
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:41 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I recorded a quick video demonstration - does anyone know a good file host where you can view a streaming WMV file so I can forego having to ask people to download it.

Thanks.

-Alexander Hamilton
SculptureOfSound
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:55 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

In the meantime, I uploaded it to Sendspace if anyone is interested.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sn0slz

-Alexander Hamilton

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic