KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Fretboard logic View next topic
View previous topic
mixalot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:40 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Has anyone tried this? I've heard really good things about it. I'm getting to the point now where I can learn most songs pretty quickly and I figure any monkey can do that so now I want to know what exactly is going on on the board of my bass. Did I mention I play bass? Is there a separate program for bass or is it just guitar? I would try guitar but there are two to many strings for me.

Thanks all

Mix
X100BNut
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:53 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

There is a fretboard logic for bass. It's pretty good. Much cheaper than one guitar/bass lesson, but it doesn't come with a CD, and there aren't really any exercises in it.

The guitar book is more useful. The interval between all the string pairs on a guitar (E-A, A-D, D-G, B-E) are a perfect fourth except for that darned major third between the G and B. Things would be much simpler without that snag, but it provides a wealth of chord forms. Most of guitar logic is based on CAGED theory. On a guitar, you can play an open C, A, G, E, or D chord, and all these shapes can be played as barre chord further up the neck, and you'll find that a given chord will follow CAGED order as you move up the neck. An open C-form (C chord), is an "A" form barred at the third fret, a "G" form at the fifth fret, an "E" form at the eighth fret, a "D" form at the tenth fret, and back to a "C" form at the twelveth fret. Similarly, you can play a C scale over the C-form, or move up three frets and play an "A" scale over the A-form, and still get a C-form, and so on, moving up the neck. The beauty of this is that if you learn 5 scales, 5 barre chords, and the I, IV, and V chord for 5 keys, you can play any three-chord tune in any major key up and down the neck. Learn some barred minor chords and figure out which keys they fit in with, and you can play just about anything but jazz and blues, and you can apply what you know to those too. If this confuses you, remember that Fretboard Logic is a whole book. I used too few words, and the author of Fretboard logic uses way too many, so he'll definitely make it make sense. He's got pictures too.

So why look at things this way? If you want to learn to sight-read sheet music, you should sight-read music alot. If you want to learn a bunch of tunes, throw on the CD and study the TAB. I spend lots of time looking at the guitar from the CAGED perspective, and I'm talentless. I've found that my ability to pick up songs by ear has drastically improved. I play alone and don't sing, and I find that I can keep the melody on top over harmonies or chords by moving up and down the neck, and somebody can change the key of a song and it won't throw me as much.

It works for bass too. There's just less to learn, as far as this theory goes.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic