KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Pawn Shops --AGGGGHHHH View next topic
View previous topic
truedog
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:11 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I was out with my wife on Saturday to evaluate a couple of basses she was look at in the pawn shops. My wife thinks they are a good place to find "deals", but I am of another opinion altogether. However in Cheyenne there is no longer even ONE music store that deals in guitars at all. When I was growing up here there were always at least two. Nowadays we have one music store that carries pianos and school band instruments and another that only leases band instruments. THAT'S IT! Twisted Twisted Twisted Twisted

Most of what we looked at was just overpriced garbage, but I thought I would mention the two basses that most interested her.

The first was a Michael Kelly acoustic bass that looked quite nice. It had quilt top and sides and a dragonfly inlay on the fretboard. It had HORRIBLE fret buzz above about the 10th fret. I sighted down the neck and the portion of the fingerboard attached to the guitar top actually had a huge reverse bowed warp in it while the rest of the neck had a normal forward bow. It looked a little like a rollercoaster track. More junk.

The other bass that she liked is the Squier fretless Jazz that we have discussed elsewhere. I played it again and it is actually quite nice with good action and a nice sound. After playing it I am having second thoughts about her learning to play on a fretless. I am sure it would be a little more difficult, as I was finding myself having to REALLY pay attention to avoid playing notes 1/8-1/4 step out of tune. Otherwise this is a nice bass. They are available at GC, MF, Sweetwater, etc for $279 brand new, but this pawn shop is asking $349 used!!!! Twisted Twisted Twisted Twisted When I told the guy at the pawn shop, he just said, "No way I can come down more than $20, I have too much in it." If he has more in it that it would cost me new, the guy is an idiot!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:36 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Gotta love the pawn shop owner!
sirmyghin
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:15 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

haha , what a tool. The easy solution is obviously buy a new one I guess.
phalanges
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:15 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

On the other hand, you can order a Squier fretless online and charge the guy more than the list price..........for a profit......... Very Happy

Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:20 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

The pawn shop here it like that, they almost always ask a "higher than new" price for Guitars and amps. Every now and then I'll see that one is got and figure it was bought by someone who didn't have enough sense to check prices elsewhere first.
the first time the person goes to pick up a set of strings or a strap at a music store I figure that person will look around a few minutes and begin to have a very sick feeling in their stomach.

Truth is they don't have a guitar worth having more than once every other year or so.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic