KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

shredder settings View next topic
View previous topic
maxoom
2 Ton Slab & Blinded by Visions

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:57 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Seems like most arpeggio type shredders use a delay setting to help achieve this technique. What would be a common delay setting be for this type of sound? I come close but never seem to get it just right. What are there settings anyway?
eudaimonia
Oh, the thinks you can think if only you try!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:15 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I use an MXR Carbon Copy delay in my amp's loop during leads. It doesn't make it easier or harder to do a sweep arpeggio--it just adds depth to the sound. I leave the delay volume at about 60-70% dry volume, repeats at 1-3, and delay time at about 200-400 ms. (Since the CC is an analog delay, that's all approximate.)

In my opinion, the key to a good shred tone, especially for sweeps, is to have an excellent high gain setting on your amp or stomp box. Use the neck pickup and crank the mids either on the amp or on an EQ in front of it. I have DiMarzio Air Norton neck pickups in 2 of my guitars. The Air Norton is very mid-focused and great for shreddy leads.

In general, a good tone for legato is a good tone for sweeps.

Guitars Anonymous Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:26 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

On recommendations from this forum, I bought and installed a couple of air nortons on my 80's Chavel (and put a Carvin A11 in the middle position) and it definitely lends itself well to sweeping and the like. Almost sounds like I'm breathing like a sax.

Very Cool!

Delay...I'd say somewhere between 230 and 300ms with the feedback set so it only repeats a couple of times, with the mix about 60 dry and 40 wet. Seasoning of course is totally up to your taste.

notafatboy
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:47 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I use an analog delay as well, although John Petrucci, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani-three big shredders use digital delay, i find that for a great shred tone the less the delay gets in the way the better. I put the mix at about 40 percent, between 250 and 300 ms and about three repeats. obviously the delay settings are important. Also, another thing to try is to instead of cranking the gain on your lead sound, leave it at half or three quarters up and use a overdrive or compressor pre distortion to boost the gain. I llike that tone a lot. It is usually much tighter and awesomer then any other gain sound.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:07 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks guys,Very helpful! I got a good delay set up with 285ms and 2-3 repeats, effect level about 60% and feedback 45%. I`m using a Digitech DD-20 Giga Delay with it set to analog.
notafatboy
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:22 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

sweet. I know hes not a shredder but the edge gets awesome delay too. You should check out some of his settings too. There are whole websites discussing his delays and settings.

Oh, the thinks you can think if only you try!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:01 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

The advice about using an overdrive is good. I do that too. I use the crunch channel on my XXX amp with a Fulltone OCD in front of it. The crunch channel has less gain than the XXX's other drive channel. I keep the gain at about 50%, but then boost it with the OCD. It sustains for days.

Member of the Family

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:05 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

yup and often less noise too. since i have a new amp with a decent lead channel i may start to use it with a TS clone.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:37 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

eudaimonia wrote:
The advice about using an overdrive is good. I do that too. I use the crunch channel on my XXX amp with a Fulltone OCD in front of it. The crunch channel has less gain than the XXX's other drive channel. I keep the gain at about 50%, but then boost it with the OCD. It sustains for days.

I use a bad monkey into the crunch channel of my XXX.I was going to get a more boutique pedal but it sounds just fine so I never did.I agree it just adds that extra.I did it after watching a vid from Gary Hoey when he was playing XXX heads. I think my problem was getting the right delay settings.
I`m getting a good handle on that now and things are moving along.

I was setting too much delay time and not doing the repeats.Kinda ass backwards from how everyone has suggested.Sounded killer for some
J .Priest "Changes" though.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic