KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Two very cool and informative articles View next topic
View previous topic
datswite
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:16 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

The first article deals with equal tempermant and tuning the guitar. The author discusses two tuning methods (harmonic tuning and the 4th and 5th fret method) and why one works and the other doesn't. I've used a combination of methods over the years, but never understood why the harmonic method doesn't work (though I could certainly hear that it didn't). I primarily use a tuner because it's the most accurate.

Tuning

The second article discusses string tension. This is stuff most of us already know, but I found it enjoyable nonetheless.

Tension

Enjoy. Mr. Green

-- Frank Burns, 4077th M.A.S.H.

"Less talk... More play!"
-- Me

http://www.myspace.com/datswite
delph
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:16 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I enjoyed reading the first tuning article (haven't read the tension one yet). However, the beats diagram seemed thoroughly inadequate. He then goes on to say (simply after showing the unclear diagram) that it should be apparent that the harmonic method is inaccurate. He should have shown beats when the guitar is tuned tempered versus harmonic. Without the contrast, or any further explanation, the diagram is essentially useless...unless I'm missing something, of course.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic