KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Chicken Picking View next topic
View previous topic
sirmyghin
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:00 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I would like to pick up some chicken picking ,anyone have recommendations? I figure some country chops can't hurt, and other styles all work different aspects of our ability.
notafatboy
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:44 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

brent mason the studio country legend has an instructional dvd i believe. It you want metal influenced chicken picken John 5 uses it a bit as does Zakk Wylde. Zakk learned from Albert Lee who is also really really good. Brad Paisley does it. Certain guitarists use it more then others in country.

Member of the Family

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:46 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

and if you dont do it already growing a little nail on your chicken pickin fingers is probably the only way save finger picks to get the right tone. I grow my index middle and ring finger nails out about a a 1/4" but you dont need too much.

Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:01 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

notafatboy wrote:
and if you dont do it already growing a little nail on your chicken pickin fingers is probably the only way save finger picks to get the right tone. I grow my index middle and ring finger nails out about a a 1/4" but you dont need too much.

good to know, I used to grow my nails to about 1/8 for bass playing to get sharper attack. Thanks for the tips.
dono
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:41 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm a little confused . I brought up this same thing awhile back , maybe alittle differenet , about learning some country chops , and you said memorizing patterns and playing penatonics was boring. I did buy a sizziling guitar licks dvd . But for someone like me who has no musical training , it was to advanced for me . Maybe someone like yourself could get something out of it. Check it out sizzilingguitarlicks.com It's all about chicken picken . Just my 2 cents
sirmyghin
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:51 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

dono wrote:
I'm a little confused . I brought up this same thing awhile back , maybe alittle differenet , about learning some country chops , and you said memorizing patterns and playing penatonics was boring. I did buy a sizziling guitar licks dvd . But for someone like me who has no musical training , it was to advanced for me . Maybe someone like yourself could get something out of it. Check it out sizzilingguitarlicks.com It's all about chicken picken . Just my 2 cents

I do think memorizing licks and playing pentatonic is boring. I am more just looking for a springboard to learn the technique, it is unlikely I would ever apply it to use in a country music setting, although I was in a bluegrass round at one time. I rarely think in set runs or licks, and try to deviate from standard or 'acceptable' often. I often pick up other styles of playing for dynamic reasons, hence why I play bass slap and pop, tap, double thumb or finger style, the coordination building is often what I am looking for

In other words, country chops are not the goal, they are more the byproduct.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic