Carvin.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

MX842 mixer/mains for sale locally...$400 a good deal? View next topic
View previous topic
scott7d
Scott Matlock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:46 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello! I've tried to find info on this mixer, but couldn't find anything other than owners manuals. Locally a guy is selling a MX842 with Carvin mains for $400. I checked everything out and it's all in good condition and working order.

I play in a rock cover band that plays small to medium venues. (anywhere from 35 to 150 people). Would this be a good system for us to use? Would it power the mains along with 3 monitors and be ok? We will be running a sub but it is active, so power/power amp isn't a problem.

Thanks!
notafatboy
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:21 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

It depends on your band, how hard your drummer hits, how loud the audience is. I think you would plenty enough power with that setup. That is essentially what I do and we have used less and still had pretty good results.

Scott Matlock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:52 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Typically, we play your little hillbilly bars with an occasional "nice" venue of around 100-150 people. People usually get up and dance to the songs they really like, but there aren't large groups of crazy, rowdy people.

Our drummer doesn't abuse his kit I guess you could say, and we plan on mic'ing kick, snare, and toms (toms will share a single mic in between them). But when we mic drums, it is subtle since they are a loud instrument acoustically. The kick just sounds so much better when it is mic'ed and going through a sub that has a crossover. If the venue is really small, the kick drum is the only thing we will mic on his kit.
We also mic guitars, but only subtle through the monitors so we can hear each other. We don't run guitars through the mains, only on rare occasions.

If the mixer can handle the two mains, and at least 3 monitors, I think it will be perfect. We will be using 7 of the 8 channels most of the time. Also, I am having trouble finding how many watts the mixer is in general. Mind filling me in? Mr. Green
notafatboy
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:59 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh lol. No I have no idea, I was just thinking of the idea. How old is it? Any clues? I would guess if its comparable to the newer stuff something like 400w@2ohms just guessing.....

The PuppetMaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:18 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Link to manual here

Blowing up the diagram of the rear panel of the 842 shows it to be 200 W per side @ 4 ohms.

peb

Gone to the dogs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:17 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Page 6-1: 150W+150W @ 8 ohm; 200W+200W @ 4ohm

Rick
peb
The PuppetMaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:12 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Well yeah, if you want to like actually READ the manual - I'm more of a visual guy; I'd rather look at the pictures.

Mr. Green

peb

Scott Matlock

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:18 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, this thing may not have enough juice to power what we need in the long run without a separate power amp. We were looking for some with around 1000 watts.
hankwillow
Gone to the dogs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:49 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

If the mixer section is sufficient for your needs, you can always use the built in amps for monitors and add an external power amp for mains. I see used Carvins on evil-bay all the time at reasonable prices. Keep in mind, to double the apparant sound level, you have to go from 150W to 1500W. Often, a better stategy is to add another speaker to each side. If you use 8 ohm units, that would get you to the more efficient 4 ohm per amp, and add a 3db gain in sound pressure level. (I'm assuming running stereo). Of course then you'd need an amp for the monitors... Never mind, these days power is cheaper than efficiency. Just get a big freakin' amp for the mains. Headroom means never having to say, "oops". Just a thought.

And, Paul, LOL! My Dad always said, "If all else fails, read the instructions".

Rick
notafatboy
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:30 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks all, yeah i didnt have a clue and couldnt find the manuals. lol.

The PuppetMaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:30 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Overall, not a bad unit. I'd go with hank's suggestion and use it to power the monitors and get a power amp for the mains. Depending on what speakers it has, I'd have been interested if it had more channels - we're looking for a 16 channel ourselves.

peb

Gone to the dogs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:27 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Paul, an SM162 often goes pretty cheap on evil-bay. Not a full blown live desk, but does have a couple of sends for monitors or effects. Has 8 mic channels w/ phantom power and 4 stereo channels. Cheap, usefull and small, what more could a guy want? On the other hand, I see Full Compass has a 16+4 channel Allen and Heath powered mixer for $1500. Sweet!

Rick

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic