KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

ElfDude's Semi-hollow Adventure! View next topic
View previous topic
BluesPicker
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:28 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Of course, if you really wanted to go nuts, you give the Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) treatment and have the single coil installed as a middle pickup with hummers in the neck and bridge. I think he describes his guitar in some detail at alvinlee.com

Paul
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:23 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

BluesPicker wrote:
Of course, if you really wanted to go nuts, you give the Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) treatment and have the single coil installed as a middle pickup with hummers in the neck and bridge. I think he describes his guitar in some detail at alvinlee.com

Paul

I've long thought an H-S-S semi-hollow would be very cool! But for now...

Ding ding ding!
Winner winner chicken dinner!

AP11 + C22B + Semi-hollow = TONE!!!

I think it looks cool too. But it just sounds SO sweet this way!

A little quieter than my Carvins with the same pickups though. Trying to figure out what's causing that. But even if I never get it resolved, I'm really digging it!

Carvin SH445, SH225, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, LB76F, Vintage 16, Nomad
maxoom
2 Ton Slab & Blinded by Visions

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:41 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey those dual white rings really worked that out.
I think it looks really cool like that. Applause
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:21 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Yesterday I took the guitar to my older brother/band-leader's house. He's much better at doing setups than I am. It's playing better now. We couldn't get the action nearly as low as my Carvins. The fret work and such on this cheap thing don't allow it. Too much buzz. But it's still quite playable.

The guitar came with 12's on it. Too heavy for my electric guitars. Also, they appeared to be bronze phosphor strings, like one would buy for an acoustic. Yesterday I replaced them with Elixir 10-46 strings. Not only is the guitar much easier to play now, it's also much louder when plugged in. I'm impressed that a simple string change completely fixed my loudness problem. Cool

I am SO grooving on the AP11 at the neck of this thing. Sooo bluesy! Awesome sound from a semi-hollow. When they day comes that I finally get to order my SH550 I'll be begging for that option. I'll offer to send them the adapter pickup ring and everything.

It works really well with the C22B as well. You get a great vintage (almost countryish) kind of twang out of it when they're both on.

Carvin SH445, SH225, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, LB76F, Vintage 16, Nomad
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:17 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Tonight will be my first gig with it. Plan on using for at least half of the set. We'll see how it goes.

ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:36 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's a shot from the guitar's first gig. Smile

BluesPicker
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:12 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Man -- that thing is an attention-getter on stage. Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

How did it fit "in the mix" sound-wise?

Paul
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:07 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

BluesPicker wrote:
Man -- that thing is an attention-getter on stage. Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

Paul

It sounds great. I used it for about two thirds of the "guitar songs" (I played keyboards in the non-guitar songs).

But I've been spoiled. The Carvins are just so much easier to play, you know?

This should be able to tide me over for a few years until I can order an SH445 or SH550. Cool

BluesPicker
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:32 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

You know, one thing to consider, is having a professional luthier/tech do a set up. There are good and bad techs, like anything, and -- yes -- I can do my one set-ups and dial things in pretty good. But, there is a guy I go to down in Lowell, Mass. (Bill Whitsett), who seems to work magic on my guitars.

I brought down my new Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro down to him a couple of months ago. Now, I'm thinking, "Damn, this guitar plays great already," and I'm guessing he won't have to do much with it, but .... since I was having him wire in some replacement pickups, why not let him set it up.

I swear, that son of a gun plays as good or better than the many Carvins I've owned and played. And, as everyone knows, Gibsons aren't always the easiest things to play, actionwise. Not to use an overused cliche, but it truly plays like butter.

If you know someone of that caliber, let them have a go at that big, old jazz box and see how it plays afterwards. Still won't be a Carvin, but you might even enjoy playing what you've got more.

paul
Riviera2dice
Born to Rock - Forced to Work

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:42 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I found my own answer to my semi-hollow adventure. I own a cheap Washburn Delta Blues King and a nice Carvin Fat Boy H2. But this is my answer.

And here is my Fat Boy.

www.SkylineBand.Info
My Soundclick Page
BluesPicker
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:52 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Sweet! Cool Very Happy
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:59 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

BluesPicker wrote:
You know, one thing to consider, is having a professional luthier/tech do a set up. There are good and bad techs, like anything, and -- yes -- I can do my one set-ups and dial things in pretty good. But, there is a guy I go to down in Lowell, Mass. (Bill Whitsett), who seems to work magic on my guitars.

I brought down my new Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro down to him a couple of months ago. Now, I'm thinking, "Damn, this guitar plays great already," and I'm guessing he won't have to do much with it, but .... since I was having him wire in some replacement pickups, why not let him set it up.

I swear, that son of a gun plays as good or better than the many Carvins I've owned and played. And, as everyone knows, Gibsons aren't always the easiest things to play, actionwise. Not to use an overused cliche, but it truly plays like butter.

If you know someone of that caliber, let them have a go at that big, old jazz box and see how it plays afterwards. Still won't be a Carvin, but you might even enjoy playing what you've got more.

paul

That's probably a good idea, sir. I know someone who can do fret work and good set ups. I just may let him have a crack at this thing once the new guitar novelty wears off. Smile

Riv, those are great-looking guitars. I do hope to own a Holdsworth someday in the future. But I want an SH550 first. Smile

ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:51 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

BluesPicker wrote:

Paul

Whatever happened to your ES-335, Paul? Did you sell it?

Don A

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:19 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

BluesPicker wrote:

paul

I can't recommend this highly enough!!! I dressed and crowned the frets on my Gibson ES-135 after 9 years of ownership. The frets weren't worn badly, but the guitar had always been a so-so player (with awesome tone). The tops of the frets were squared off and not to my liking even new from the factory (I bought this guitar new).

While I was at it, I performed a really good setup, exactly to my liking.

I don't know whay I waited so long! Playability was increased dramatically! It's right up there with my DC150 which has silky smooth stainless steel frets!
BluesPicker
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:06 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

ElfDude wrote:
BluesPicker wrote:

Paul

Yep -- either late '07 or early '08.
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:31 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

BluesPicker wrote:
ElfDude wrote:
BluesPicker wrote:

Paul

Yep -- either late '07 or early '08.

Do you miss it?

ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:39 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Another mod made today. I had been toying with the idea of putting an AP11 at the bridge as well as at the neck. Then I thought maybe I'd like the leave the C22B at the bridge and install a mini-toggle for coil-splitting. I really do like the way the C22B splits in my CT4. Then it was suggested to me that I buy a push-pull pot for coil-splitting so I wouldn't have to drill a hole in the guitar. I kind of liked the idea, just so long as it would fit through the f-hole.

I was discussing this with a guitarist neighbor the other day and he said, "I don't really like having to pull up on the knob. I prefer the push-push kind. In fact, I think I have one in my box of old stuff that you can have. I'll check!" Today he brought out his boxes of old stuff and we ended up taking a trip down memory lane together. He found the pot and gave it to me.

The thing was so tiny! No real soldering lugs... just little pins sticking out. I had to wear two pair of reading glasses stacked one over the other in order to see what I was doing while soldering. But I got it! And it works!

So... how's it sound? First off, with just the bridge pickup on and in single coil mode it sounds very bright and jangly. I'm surprised at how much brighter and janglier it is than the split C22B in my CT4. That was unexpected. However, it will work great for the Bealtes covers I had n mind when doing this mod. I will now be able to play ALL of the Beatles covers my band does on just one guitar. Okay, I could do that with my AE185 too, but this just has more of that vintage look to it, y'know?

I've never had a guitar with a C22B at the bridge and an AP11 at the neck before. With both pickups on and the bridge pickup split I was surprised to find that the AP11 kind of overpowers the bridge pickup. It's not to worry, each pickup has its own volume knob. Turning down the AP11 a tiny bit I get the tone that I imagined I'd get. It was just unexpected.

The guitar is now very versatile! I look forward to taking it to the gig this Friday. And I think perhaps between that gig and the next which is on July 9th I'll get that setup done that so many are recommending.

Fun stuff!

raven999
Hallowed be thy Ultra V

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:18 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I dig the push-push pots too, just be gentle, lessons learned the hard way...

I"m not surprised about the tone difference between the 2 C22's in split mode, considering the axe your using. It sounds like you're having a blast playing Dr. Tinker! Applause

1988 Ultra V
1989 Ultra V
1984/85 X100B head
1988 V4X12C
1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio with P-90's
(?) Carvin VL100 head
(?) Carvin VL4X12C
(?) Carvin VT50 head
(?) Carvin VT4X10
(?) Carvin VL2X12 cab
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:58 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Bit of a disappointment tonight. I started playing the guitar with a lot of gain and discovered it would feedback way too easily. Then I discovered that my C22B had gone microphonic on me. I could talk right through it.

I started A - B'ing it with the C22B in my CT4M and found it to be a lot brighter... almost harsh by comparison. Darn.

So... the S22T is back in at the bridge. It's in a cream-coloerd mountig ring do it doesn't look quite as weird as it did in that photo on the other page. I'll try to get a pic taken and posted tomorrow.

It's such a different pickup! In fact, it has so much less low end and less output than the C22B that I'm discovering I can do the stuff with it in humbucking mode that I needed the C22B in single coil mode to do. Shocked
In single coil mode the S22T is almost too wimpy to use, so I doubt I will do that very often.

Still having a lot of fun with the guitar!

ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:55 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

BluesPicker wrote:

paul

It's being done tonight! I'm excited to get it back tomorrow and see what I've got. Mr. Green

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic