KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

In a funk...for years! View next topic
View previous topic
sirmyghin
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:00 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Bundy wrote:
I may not have been specific enough, but my point is this...

Using that standard barre chord shape, you can play it anywhere-- essentially giving yourself 12 different chords if you start at the bottom of the neck and move up.

This works for "cowboy chord" fingerings as well. I have 24 frets on my instrument and like to use 'em all. Mr. Green

Gotcha, I don't much like those big chords. Not to mention I was so tired I made a B/G#, which isn't actually a B at all, but a G#m7 in slash notation Laughing.

I don't really know 'chord forms' but I know the triad for every chord and from there I can get any embellishments. I work on intervals not shapes. The upside of this is I know every chord, the magic is in how you voice them though.

That aside I know you like the CAGED system which is something I am really not fond of.
Bundy
Alive again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:47 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

sirmyghin wrote:
Bundy wrote:
I may not have been specific enough, but my point is this...

Using that standard barre chord shape, you can play it anywhere-- essentially giving yourself 12 different chords if you start at the bottom of the neck and move up.

This works for "cowboy chord" fingerings as well. I have 24 frets on my instrument and like to use 'em all. Mr. Green

That aside I know you like the CAGED system which is something I am really not fond of.

I hear that's what they call it, the CAGED system. I've never studied it specifically by name or anything else, because there's no need for it. It sounds to me like someone wanted to complicate it, bottle it, and sell it? Laughing I figured it out decades ago... take a simple first position D shape, know the root note in that fingering, and move it anywhere on the fretboard. It cannot be any simpler than basic triad chord construction and moving that left hand. Wink

I'll mend myself before it gets me...
sirmyghin
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:25 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

A little more to it than that Mr. Green . I mean it is not every day someone yells quick we need a Gm13 (no 11) stat, but I could get it to you pretty readily Laughing

That is to say a G Bb D F A E in a chord that is far too big, so the D will be the first to go, probably the G too. The 3 and 7 can carry the chord in the context of a progression well enough. So Bb F A E. It is all about context and knowing your fretboard. If you toss the F in the bass it is the 3rd inversion of the chord.
Bundy
Alive again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:31 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

The only CAGE I need to know about is the one created by one's mind; the CAGE that imposes limitations on how one perceives and performs music. That is the CAGE I will break everytime I pick up my instrument. Very Happy

Admittedly, I am guilty of over-thinking and over-complicating Rock 'n' Roll too much! d'oh! Mr. Green

ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:41 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Um.... I play a lot of 1, 4, 5 songs in my band. Embarassed

Kiesel Aries, Carvin CS6M, SH445, SH225, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, LB76F, Vintage 16, Nomad
Bundy
Alive again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:50 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

ElfDude wrote:
Um.... I play a lot of 1, 4, 5 songs in my band. Embarassed

I can only count to 4, as per Army training. You lost me.

I'm booked up in local clubs for August 25, 26, & 27. Can anyone give advice on wireless table-walking and mic-stand grinds in place of slide guitar?

Mr. Green

rascalmanny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:17 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I tell you what I do. I haven't been in a band for YEARS and miss it.

The awesome thing about these days are all the CD's and DVD's out there now. I get those CD's of my favorite band's music minus the guitar and play with that. Since it's songs I love it keeps my interest up PLUS after you really learn the solo note for note you'll find yourself improvising. And it does wonders for your timing.

And, like bundy said, get those "jam tracks" to play along with. And just let yourself go with it...don't care about screwing up...have fun with it. Don't beat yourself up because you played a wrong note. Just call it "fusion". Mr. Green

mapleleaf14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:26 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Jeez, this thread has gotten huge!
well, what I've done so far is download Bundy's jam tracks (thank you by the way!), bought a new semi-hollow to expand my sounds, and I tackled learning La Villa Strangiato by Rush all the way through...I'm about 3/4 of the way thru it now!

Doing some "music studying" on scales, etc.

I made an audio dvd mixing songs I used to play in my old bands along with Bundy's jam tracks...it's about 2 1/2 hours long and I play along with that. The songs I know keep me from getting too frustrated and the new ones help me try new stuff.

Made a list of songs I want to learn 100% too...not going to move on to a new one until I "perfect" the current one.

Thanks for all the ideas and tips everybody!
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:58 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

mapleleaf14 wrote:
bought a new semi-hollow to expand my sounds, and I tackled learning La Villa Strangiato by Rush all the way through...I'm about 3/4 of the way thru it now!

Shocked Shocked Shocked

La Villa Stangiato? Wow.

Man, it's a drag being the worst gutiarist in the forum sometimes. Wink

And as to your semi-hollow...

Kiesel Aries, Carvin CS6M, SH445, SH225, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, LB76F, Vintage 16, Nomad
sirmyghin
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:41 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

mapleleaf14 wrote:

Doing some "music studying" on scales, etc.

http://www.musictheory.net/

This site is good for stuff from the ground up. As mentioned previously, do more than learn where to put your fingers to play a song, pick it apart, find what makes it tick.
mapleleaf14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:56 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Not intentionally cowbelling on the semi-hollow...I'm at work and don't have a pic. It's just a basic Ibanez, no Carvin semi for me YET. Just got a deal on it and have been wanting to try one for recently to see if a Carvin semi could be in my future!
riff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:13 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

After reading through this thread I thought Bundy's suggestion to repeat the lick 1 octave higher or lower is a great rut buster. Most guitars can't accomplish that, but if you have a Carvin neck through it can and it's effortless.

Pick a couple of your favorite tunes that you think you can handle both the singing and playing. Make these your signature tunes to start. If you get called up on stage, audition or play a tune for friends, you don't need anyone else, you're good to go.

None of this whiney..'I can't sing...eew coough..sniff sniff" crap
If Neil Young and Bob Dylan can sing well enough, so can you, too.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic