KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Bromberg basses look awesome. View next topic
View previous topic
rmcfee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:27 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I think these look cool but can anyone give me general advice about pups? For example which is the best way to go active or passive?
Or is it just preference? Thanks.
tbonesullivan
New and Improved

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:21 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Remember that you can always switch the active bass back into passive mode if you want. Active electronics really do help you shape your tone, and put a LOT of control right at your finger tips.

Effects: Boss OD-20, Carvin XP4, AC120, ODB-3, ISP Dec.
rmcfee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:59 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I was curious because i saw a demo of a Carvin bass and the active electronics sounded incredible. Thanks.
MysticMichael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:37 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I realize the thread is a few years old. But I've just got to comment.

I'm the fortunate owner of two (2) Carvin Bromberg-model five-string basses - one fretless, one fretted. I think they're pure class, but especially the fretless, which I've had retrofitted with a custom Graphtech Ghost piezoelectric system (slightly different from Carvin's stock Graphtech Ghost, in that it has a separate volume control for the piezos, plus a blend control to mix piezo & pickup signals - rather than just the stock blend control).

I'm using Carvin's stock humbuckers with the radiused tops, and am pleasantly surprised. They don't have quite the richness and detail of top-of-the-line Nordstrands or Delanos, but the tone is very usable and acceptable.

I think the OP needs to understand the difference between active pickups and active electronics. The vast majority of active electronic systems have pickups that are passive (such as mine), but the system as a whole is made active by the addition of an onboard preamp. (I'm using an Audere Classic Four-Band preamp in each of my Brombergs, and just love them!) Systems in which the pickups themselves are active do exist (i.e. EMGs, some Seymour Duncans, etc.), but they're relatively uncommon.

In my opinion, there is absolutely no reason why one would want to go fully passive with an instrument of this caliber. The active electronics just open up such an expanded array of tones and capabilities, and the fully-passive system brings nothing to the table that an active system couldn't deliver, while constraining so much tonality and sonic flexibility that the active system would otherwise deliver. It's a no-brainer.

MM
rmcfee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:46 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Mystic! Thanks for that info - I was not making the distinction between the pups and the electronics. I didn't realize the pups were passive as you said.
If I get around to buying another bass I think I would try the Carvin - I've had great luck with their guitars and the company just keeps innovating and building more and more beautiful stuff.
Thanks!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic