KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  
 
 
 PRS CU22 - swapped Dragon II bridge p/up w/Duncan C5 nickle View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topicReply to topic
Author Message
wickid
Curator: Carvin Museum of NY


Offline
Joined: 13 May 2005
Posts: 1117
Location: NY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:31 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Inspired by the C5 Trembucker I threw in my Strat I found a nickle covered SD C5 to replace the stock Dragon II bridge p/up in my PRS I got off this BBS. The look is basically the same, so once again, I'm gonna have to use a stock pic(s) ...








I found the stock bridge p/up to be a bit brighter than I cared for, although it had a very good amount of output. This is similar to what alot of ppl said on the interwebs about the Dragon IIs as I've found, and I find I'm in agreement. Its kinda like a Custom Custom, which I have in a couple guitars, and I kinda like, but after a while it doesnt work for me.
The neck p/up is very '59-ish and I like it alot. I was thinking about going with a black '59-N + C5-Br set, but decided to try and find a chrome (nickle) covered C5 - and I found 1 on ebay (same place I got the C5 Trembucker from).

I found the same result with this covered p/up as I have in a few other cases where I used a covered version of a usually non-covered p/up. Slightly less output, a bit thinner, and somewhat brighter. (This is similar to the M22T I put a cover on in a CT3, a Carvin-covered (and potted) M22T in my Koa CT3, and a Carvin-covered/potted M22SD I got on this BBS that I put in a CT6. So, pretty consistent anecdotal results.)
But all in all, its an improvement I think I'm keeping here (especially since un-soldering the original p/ups was a BEE - YOTCH!!! - especially the shield - the circuit board for the p/up leads on the 5-way knob wasnt too bad tho).

The covered SD C5 has a good amount of output. As with the Trembucker I put in the Strat, its a bit less than an M22T. It has a good low end balance, but a bit more treble emphasis than the Strat has. But still less than the DII had. Also the Strat uses 250K tone pots, which I think rounds off the hi end in a real good way. Thats pretty consistent with a warmer tone from 250K pots (right? - typically for brighter single coils?).

In addition to the p/up swap, I also changed out the 5-way selector knob with a (Carvin) 3-way switch. I already have an ST300 with the middle positions, but dont use them much. I like the more basic 3-way setup, with both HBs in the middle. (You'll just have to squint and imagine the black switch where the 3rd knob is. Wink )
I'll be keeping the original parts in case I ever decide to go back.

Some other (boring) details -

Its odd that PRS winds their DIIs as Neck = S, N and Br = N, S but then uses the hot lead of the bridge for the bottom coil.
So for the SD C5 wound N, S I used the hot lead of the bottom coil (green). A good guess as it worked with no phase issues.

I thought I knew how the Carvin 3-way lugs worked, with the physical connections OPPOSITE the switch direction. Uh-uh! Not talking It apparently re-routes the leads internally to work like you'd think visually. Had to do a re-take on the p/up leads to the 3-way.

I dont know what magnets PRS uses on the DII bridge, but it measured 13.97 K-ohm over all, 6.98K top coil, 6.99K bottom coil. (For those keeping score.)

The SD didnt come with a mounting ring, but it fit right in to the reused PRS ring. Altho the DII had the height adjust tabs a bit further away - just had to compress the springs a bit more. Also, the SD C5 tabs JUST barely fit in the pocket. Almost too wide, but I got them in there.

The hole for the 3-way was a bit too tight - since it was for basically a pot shaft. I used my cordless tools and a 1/2" hole boring bit I had, and used the slowest speed (I think the largest drill bit I have is 3/8"). I went from the painted side into the cavity, so if any wood split, it would be in the cavity. It turned out OK, and the old switch/knob still worked with its washer, and I used a blue sharpie to color in the removed wood. Hands were a bit nervous doing the drilling at 1st (used a test block of wood before taking it to the guitar). You cant tell I hacked this thing. Very Happy

There was more work than a typical p/up swap-out I've done before, and took a bit longer.



Anyway, I believe I'll be playing this PRS more rather than just looking at it. Cool
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
Display posts from previous:      
Post new topicReply to topic


 Jump to:   



View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


The views and opinions expressed on the Carvin Museum Forums are solely the responsibility of the authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of the
Carvin Museum Webmaster, or of Kiesel Guitars/Carvin Guitars.