KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

On the heals of Elfs semi hollow adventure. View next topic
View previous topic
emux2
Cryogenically preserved for your protection!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:44 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to have a fatboy and loved it but ended up havin issues with feedback. I sold it not knowing how great a deal I got on it. I eventually ended up with a MIM 72 thinline tele with WIde range humbuckers. I bought a wood pickgaurd and replaced to pickups with duncan P-rails. It was a great sounding and versatile guitar but the 10" radius wasn't to my liking. Ended up selling it to a friend in hopes to get an H2. Apparently carvins used prices have climbed dramatically and could not find one at the price I was looking to pay. I paid $750 for my quilted top fatboy! I wanted the P-rails in whatever I ended up with because they have a ton of sound options and sound great to me. I have been trying the epiphone es339 for about a month every time I went to guitar center. They had one on sale yesterday but it had a huge dent so I asked if the price is the same on the others. They matched it and I had a $10 certificate for online surveys. Sale price was $339 - $10 = 329 or $357 with tax. I have to order a case but here is what I got:

It will more of a pain to add the p-rails but I think it will be worth it. It sounds pretty good the way it is and it has coil taps. I will play it like it is for at least until the return period ends.
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:05 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, very cool! Very cool indeed!
The 339 is an intriguing instrument, to be sure!
Keep us posted on the developments?

Carvin SH445, SH225, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, LB76F, Vintage 16, Nomad
emux2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:00 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Well the epiphone is going back because I just bought this on ebay:

ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:50 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Someday... someday I really must try a Holdsworth!

Carvin SH445, SH225, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, LB76F, Vintage 16, Nomad
emux2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:39 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I think you will like it! I got the H2 yesterday. It is older than I expected but is in great shape for its age. The bridge has been replaced but he is sending the original to me. He forgot to put it in the case. The bridge that is on it is the newer style with larger post holes so there is some slop to it. I will either install the original when it arrives depending on the condition or order one from carvin. I sent them pictures to see if they still carry that style. If not I might get a new one with the larger post and rout a channel to recess it. The frets are in great shape but are sticking out the sides slightly. I think it might have been refretted but if that is the case they did a good job. I'll just need to clean up the fret ends.
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:46 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Neato!

I'm hoping someday to visit that Carvin factory and try all three of the Holdsworth models to see if any of them really speak to me.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic