KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Why Musicians Play Into Their Old Age View next topic
View previous topic
Brian D
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:15 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

This is a really good article.

"In a Somerset farmhouse in February, I watched Jet Black, 75, try to force his bulky, broken frame into drumming one more time for The Stranglers on their then looming tour. Suffering from neck, spine, lung and other ailments, even the half hour he hoped to play each night would prove beyond him. But he did play. ..."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/why-musicians-play-into-their-old-age-9275512.html

Music
http://www.reverbnation.com/briand

Photography
www.briandphoto.net
ElfDude
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:59 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

That was cool. Thanks for sharing it. Cool

Kiesel Aries, Carvin CS6M, SH445, SH225, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, LB76F, Vintage 16, Nomad
SlingBass
Just passing thru...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:18 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for sharing!

I remember Buddy Guy (a number of years ago) say something to the effect: "I may not have the energy and chops I once did......but I keep 'em guessing, 'cause I STILL have all the tricks."

Leon Russell and Johnny Winter play K.C. every year (Knuckleheads). They both have a staffer on each arm help them shuffle in and out. Johnny hasn't liked to be touched for decades by anyone not close to him.

Bless all these ol' guy's and gal's hearts! What else do they have to keep them feeling alive and vital? The money doesn't hurt, either. Add to that - we know what happens to those that retire and just sit in a rocker Wink

Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:56 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

What else are these guys going to do? This is their life and what they've been doing since they were kids. They aren't trained for anything else. Being greeters at Walmart? I don't think so. As long as they feel they can do something on their instrument I'm sure they'll try and I applaud them for it. Andres Segovia (sp?) was in his 90's and still playing classical guitar.

--Tom
BluesPicker
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:00 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

This is a way cool article. One of the greatest memories I treasure was seeing, hearing and meeting Les Paul in NYC when he was 92. He was still doing two shows every Monday night at the Iridium Jazz Club on Broadway, and I have to tell you that Les did not embarrass himself at all. He might not have had the lightening speed he was did, but he could and did hold his own.

Also, I got the chance to see John Mayall at Tupelo's Music Hall in Londonderry, New Hampshire, this past September, just weeks before he turned 80. His voice isn't what it used to be, but he can still blow a harp, bang the leys and bend a guitar string (BTW, his current lead guitarist -- Rocky Athos -- is one heck of a blues picker).

I'll be 65 in early May and I'm still out there, working out with a band when I get the chance. Of course, that's young compared to the folks mentioned in the article, as well as so many of the aging rockers, now in their 70s, that were part of the British Invasion in 1964 and '65. It's funny, but if you'd have told me back when I was 16 that I'd still be rocking at 65, I'd have said you were nuts. That seemed "ancient" to a kid my age back then. But here we are.

I consider it a huge blessing and a gift to be able to still do something I've loved doing for the past 50 years. I sure do feel the aches and pains immediately AFTER a four-hour gig, but I still feel like a kid in a candy shop while I'm doing it. And I love the look on the faces of the younger guys when they hear this old fart cranking it up and letting it rip. I figure I'll keep going for as long as I can, until I either start embarrassing myself and the other guys on stage with me, or my health forces me to quit.

Paul
SlingBass
Just passing thru...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:46 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

BluesPicker wrote:
...I'll be 65 in early May and I'm still out there, working out with a band when I get the chance. Of course, that's young compared to the folks mentioned in the article, as well as so many of the aging rockers, now in their 70s, that were part of the British Invasion in 1964 and '65. It's funny, but if you'd have told me back when I was 16 that I'd still be rocking at 65, I'd have said you were nuts. That seemed "ancient" to a kid my age back then. But here we are.

BP has played the same stage as Johnny Winter, Leon Russell, John Mayall and a whole host of senior ol' farts. He did not embarrass himself Laughing

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:23 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Chuck Berry is one guy who needs to give it up. The videos I've seen are just sad.

I saw B.B. King a few weeks ago like I've said in a previous post. He still had some of it but was nowhere near what he was. But, it was still great to bask in the awesomeness that is B.B. freakin' King.

or just part of the dance
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
BluesPicker
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:56 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

SlingBass wrote:
BluesPicker wrote:
...I'll be 65 in early May and I'm still out there, working out with a band when I get the chance. Of course, that's young compared to the folks mentioned in the article, as well as so many of the aging rockers, now in their 70s, that were part of the British Invasion in 1964 and '65. It's funny, but if you'd have told me back when I was 16 that I'd still be rocking at 65, I'd have said you were nuts. That seemed "ancient" to a kid my age back then. But here we are.

BP has played the same stage as Johnny Winter, Leon Russell, John Mayall and a whole host of senior ol' farts. He did not embarrass himself Laughing

Ah, yes, playing Knuckleheads with you in KC. It doesn't get any better than that, SB. We will do it again, too. Nola would like to go back for a couple of days, so a return appearance is not out of the question.
SlingBass
Just passing thru...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:18 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Threads like this are (or should be) inspiring. No matter if you've played for 200,000 people or a group of folks in the back yard - music is all about getting together with friends to share it with friends. On whatever level you're on......it should be with that thought in mind. We have but one life - make every part of it magical Dancing

I, personally, like musical stories. New or old - it doesn't matter. Hearing them or sharing them - it's all good. Sang or spoken - bring it on. I found a couple good examples (below) while searching "Heart By Heart" - one of LizzyD's projects with 2 of the founding members of Heart. A couple folks may remember her from the early days on this board. I'll provide a link to their site, as well. Good health and fortune to all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YhyrrLEtt8

http://www.heartbyheartband.com/

Hijacked

Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:02 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I remember Lizzy, too. So many members of the old Museum boards have just disappeared over the years. That shut-down really did hurt these forums irreparably, it seems.

Funny you mention the joy of getting together with music buddies and such. I spent a few hours yesterday (Sunday) hanging out with Rick Rogstad ("Hank Willow") at his home in Denton. We picked a bit, sang some songs, swapped some yarns. It was great. Heck, I even played some thick strings, yesterday (bass) on Rick's Tradition bass. For an inexpensive guitar, that was a wicked good sounding and playing bass.
JunkHead
Museum Supporter

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:11 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow! *pops head in* I haven't been on here in a long time. Looks like some of the same people are still here. Hello to everyone. Smile
BluesPicker
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:42 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

And a howdy back to you.
garryb
Member of the Family

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:31 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I played with Hank Thompson and Ferlin Husky when both were in their early 70's, and they were still great. Plus imagine the total of honor playing music with two guys in the Country Music Hall of Fame!!

I've noticed a lot of guys hit 50 and start playing again once the kids grow up and move out. I've been in bands steadily since 1963. Now and then I need a tall stool to rest my bones and my feet get sore, but there's no drug that can equal the fun and pleasure of making people happy with my music and watching them sing along to songs they've loved for a lifetime.

Great topic!

Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:58 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Once you play and in love with the art of performing and playing .... it's too lodged into your DNA.
Back in the 1980's. I knew guys that play music just because it made them look cool, the ones who were in love with music, still play no matter what !

Member of the Family

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:56 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I started trying to learn the guitar at about age five..... I'm now 53 years old and still perusing "learning to play" the guitar, as well as other instruments.
I started playing in bands when I was about fourteen... mostly college age folks, so I was getting all kinds of "education" Think through those early years.
Anyhow, I continued playing/singing in groups/bands somewhere into the 80's. My last band: "Fire Creek" (there are some youtube stuff out there) ended and It's always a traumatic thing for me... anyhow, My wife and I started doing a duet thing and played the circuit for about 12 years. Did well, made much money and had much fun, but... it became a "job", and I started abusing "the lifestyle"... In 91' I crashed & burned...
after much healing and straightening out... I started up again in 1992 with my gospel group: Promised Land. We've been together and actively playing/ touring for 22 years now... the last 19 as a full-time group.
Sometimes I find myself wondering "Why" am I still out here doing this?
The answer always comes from seeing someone "touched or moved" by the music/songs or efforts, and know that you may have helped change or encouraged someone. Makes every mile, load in/load out, event you missed at home with family or friends, worth it..... Will I ever retire? Don't plan on it, only "time" will tell. I get new stories and events and inspirations to write about every day... with so much to share, who could ever quit?? d'oh!
just my .02
Tommy

http://www.songramp.com/homepage.php?userid=5948
alnico5
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:21 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I can stand up and play 4 hour gigs with a solid maple Carvin around my neck so I'm still good to go at 62. Very Happy

DCM2Kuser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:52 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic