KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Wilkinson Trems View next topic
View previous topic
Guitardan
Museum Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:55 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Anyone swapped out their Carvin / Wilky / VS50 for a Gotoh VS100N?
If so, how much if any was the improvement?
Thinking of doing this on my CT3T

Is it a drop in replacement?
Do you have to change out the studs?

Thx!

UnexplodedCow
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:21 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I went with a non-Gotoh VS100n for my DC135 a few years back. I recently replaced it with a Hipshot contour that I...contoured a little more.

The Gotoh should drop right in, and the pivot points are the same. Gotoh usually makes excellent trems, and their Floyd version runs as my favorite locking edge type (though I still like the ZR more).

The Hipshot fits the pivots and the block route snugly, but fine. The arm is a little thinner, and I took off the plasic tip on the end, rounding the end off. The back of the block will need a radius, instead of a 90 degree edge, in order to clear Carvin's body route and allow for more pull-up range.

The other "issue," is having to use the Hipshot posts and inserts...smaller diameter and different thread than the Wilki. The inserts are also horter I put a couple wraps of paper around the inserts, and lightly tapped them into the guitar. No stability issues. I also put a couple wraps of teflon tape on the post threads so they don't move easily, or rock (really helps on trem stability). For the inserts being short, I placed a M8 nut under them: perfect height, and size for the hole. It was originally for test purposes, but it has held up without rattling, and the posts have not moved, so I have no plans on removing them. "Ghetto," in a way, but invisible.

Comparatively, the Hipshot is more stable, sustains better, has a greater range, is smoother, and flutters (gargles) better than a Floyd. Pinch harmonics are a little more difficult to pull off, but I changed my technique slightly, which solved he problem. I think it stems from the extra bass the Hipshot provides, and not sounding so shrill. It has been equally as stable as my Gotoh Floyd-equipped guitar, doing the same runs on. We'll see how long it lasts, which is my main concern. A trem swap every 3 years due to knife edges wearing out is a bit crap IMO.

Here are some pictures to show what I mean:

Old: https://www.flickr.com/photos/unexplodedcow/shares/1ULqeP

New: https://www.flickr.com/photos/unexplodedcow/shares/UdaC53

In the end a Gotoh VS100n will drop in directly, but the Hipshot is worth the extra work. I can always lend a hand and radius the back of the Hipshot if you send it my way first, if you want the extra pull up range. If not, no need to radius it, just wrap the bridge inserts with some thin paper (like receipt paper) and have an insert under them for proper height. No mods to the guitar itself are needed.
Guitardan
Museum Supporter

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:58 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the info ! - I don't really need the extra pull range.
I'll have a look at the HipShot product. But don't really want to change the inserts or mess w/ it too much.

My trem use is light and limited anyway, I would like it to be more stable.
So, still wondering how much improvement there is w/ the VS100 if any.

Peace !

UnexplodedCow
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:35 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, a VS100 will come with a steel block, instead of the zinc block of the VS50. It most certainly helps sustain. 3rd party brass or aluminum blocks can also be had, which may change the sound. In my experience, it will make some subtle changes. In a 6 point Strat type trem, I prefer a full size brass block, but will not sneeze at steel.

The stock Carvin VS50 is (in my experiences) wears out quickly in the knife edges, even with very light use. The VS100 non-Gotoh wears a little more slowly. Gotoh seems to make the best one.

If you're wanting to just drop it in, make some adjustments to the saddles, and play, the VS100 will be the easier choice.
Guitardan
Museum Supporter

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:16 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Cool thanks again....

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic