KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Musicians and Youtube View next topic
View previous topic
Brian D
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:53 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

[Rant On]

I have been wandering over to the Carvin Guitar BBS and hanging out in the Share Your Carvin Made Music. I must say that I do not miss that place. The number of wanabe shreders is really way too much. Not sure what the cause it. Maybe a lack of an audience makes them put up some insanely ridiculous playing or what. Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99R0rJsqEOc

A lot of the playing involves too much effects like echo, reverb, distortion, and other things. The backing track in one video sounded like a washing machine instead of music. There seems to be no structure and a lot of wrong notes. This is not jazz, it is rock and roll. Before posting they should listen to their guitar heroes. Most of them will start with a nice melodic run followed by insane playing, ending in a nice melodic phrase. They should listen to Vai, Gambale, Holdsworth, and other. Not the hair metal players.

Speed is not everything. And really, the main question to ask is... Who is your target audience? If it is only other musicians then one has a mighty huge competitive field to deal with.

One other thing that gets to me is the number of headless videos.

[Rant Off]

Sorry about that, but I had to vent.

Music
http://www.reverbnation.com/briand

Photography
www.briandphoto.net
wickid
Curator: Carvin Museum of NY

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:53 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I hear ya Brian, and as I'm reading your rant, I'm just picturing you recording your rant - from the neck down ... with hand gestures and all, and posting it on utube. The visual gave me a chuckle. Mr. Green

But as far as the clips - I just chalk that up to thats their style - is all. I know some FX boxes (or amp modelers) can really amp up capability - and sometimes I'm impressed as it still takes skill. But hey, thats how it is.
Brian D
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:32 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I tried to post a response but the page was blank. Wonder what happened.

Music
http://www.reverbnation.com/briand

Photography
www.briandphoto.net
BluesPicker
Way Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:21 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

It reminds me of a typical visit to Guitar Center. Different day, different time, different store, different state ... yet the same guys seem to always be there playing the same uber-distorted, rocket-fast, tasteless shredded runs. Some years ago, I got chatting to one of my kids' schoolmates. This kid was quite talented and had some chops, but really sounded like every other wannabe shred king. So I did an impromptu jam with him one day and tried to impress on him how less can be more. Even suggested he listen to B.B. King to see how one single, well-placed note can say more than 1,000 meaningless runs, and how that one note can slay an audience. Well, he went on the Berkley and bigger things after that, and I'll be dang if he didn't listen to this old man and take his advice. He still likes to shred, but his playing is varied and interesting and tasteful ...

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic