KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Carvin/Kahler Steeler Parts View next topic
View previous topic
kadhimj
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:55 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's a little info I couldn't find searching forums.

I have a '92 Carvin DC200 that has the Carvin licensed Floyd Rose made by Kahler. May of us know this is the Kahler Steeler tremolo (and an excellent floyd). Over the years, I have abused the crap outta this poor trem, and finally decided it's time to get her up into shape again. Here's some parts I had to replace and some info on what will fit the Carvin Floyd from this era.

1 - The trem arm on mine was the collar type. The 'socket' that the collar screws onto broke...as in a whole chunk of the screw broke off. Additionally, the small pin that keeps the collar onto the bar itself broke.

FIX - I bought a collar type replacement bar and socket that fits on any floyd rose. This piece fit perfectly.

2 - One of the mounting studs broke. Ok, so the allen hole was stripped and I tried hammering a bigger allen wrench in there, then it broke. Ouch!

FIX - I bought an original floyd rose mounting stud/posts set. The new posts did not fit the original studs, but the new studs did fit in the original cavity. No filling or drilling needed.

3 - Some of the saddle lock screws are stripped at the allen hole as well.

FIX - I bought a set of 6 original floyd rose saddle lock screws. These DID NOT FIT on the carvin/kahler floyd. You have to buy the correct ones made for the Steeler from WammiWorld.com. Unfortunately, they charge $9 a pop plus shipping for these little screws!! That's why I bought the MUCH cheaper floyd rose parts that didn't work. Sad

Hope some of this info was useful to you guys. I should note, all the damage was my own fault. The Steeler is an excellent trem; I've had this guitar since I was a teenager and knew nothing about floyd roses. I learned everything about proper maintenance at this guitars expense.

I would be interested in hearing from others that have tried replacement parts for this trem (successes or failures).
Bundy
Alive again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:09 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I've had a few Carvins that were Kahler Steeler-equipped. Excellent trem systems! Never had any problems with them; in fact, their performance exceeded my expectations.

Glad you were able to repair yours. Is Kahler making the Steeler trems again?

I'll mend myself before it gets me...
kadhimj
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:25 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Bundy. I don't think they are making the Steeler again.

Do you know if you did any mods or replacements to those old trems you had? I'd like to try a larger "big block" but I'm not sure if any would fit.

I also read somewhere that someone bought a D-tuna for one of these and it did not fit. That makes sense since the saddle screws are obviously not the same size as standard floyds.
Bundy
Alive again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:08 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

No, I'm pretty sure I didn't modify any of my Steeler trems other than regular setup. I had 'em on DC127's without the locking nut, and they were every bit as stable as trems with the nut.

I could dive bomb to full slack, weave my fingers in the strings, release, dive bomb again, and pull my hand out/release and it'd still be in tune. Mr. Green

I'll mend myself before it gets me...
kadhimj
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:13 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, tuning has never been an issue. I don't have a locking nut, just locking tuners. I think Carvin should start offering the new floyd rose 'non-fine tuners' trem as an option.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic