KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Selling most of the Menagerie of X100Beasts View next topic
View previous topic
X100BNut
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:21 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I have X30s, X60s, two Oakie XV112s, X100B heads, XT112s, XV112s, most vintages. Let me know if you are interested.
KingSympRace X
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:51 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

If I didn't just buy another guitar (used) I'd be interested in an Oakie. What are they going for, may I ask?
X100BNut
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:57 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

A nice Series III went for $400 on eBay. Shipping cross country was $115 for the 75 pound amp.
Gregory

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:37 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

It so happens I am looking for a x60, series 3 preferably. If you have one for sale or know of one please let me know. Im also considering the x100b. Thanks.
X100BNut
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:59 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

[color=white] I just checked. I do have a Series III X60 head! It needs a bit of love, but I could get it working for you. I'd want $280 plus shipping cost. It's a later revision of the Series III. It still has the dual 1/4" jacks for the footswitch (not included, but we could talk about that too), reverb knob on the back, 100%/60% output power switch, etc., but the deathcap is gone, along with its switch. it has a 3-pronged cord, etc.

Check your mail.
ExtendedScaler

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:29 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm looking for x100b heads to fix/mod for baritone and sell. I love these things and it looks like you do too. Maybe you can tell me...what is the "Hotrod" function on the '90's amps? I just picked one up and don't know what it does. I can't find it on a schematic either.

Anyway, got any heads you want to get rid of?

Thanks!
X100BNut
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:12 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Hot Rod Mod 1B is a hand-wired mod to the lead channel. The triode that distorts the most on the lead channel has it's plate supply modified. The preamp supply for the final triode is dropped and bypassed to ground with a cap. This effective low-pass filter results in a supply that's low impedence and stiff at high frequencies and higher impedance and more saggy on the low frequencies. What people don't see is that the sags discharge the interstage coupling cap, and the bias to the next stage shifts. Simulating, on low notes, you can see the supply to the plate resistor pretty much crash as far as it can. It's an unusual circuit. I don't particularly care for it. It replaced the Pull High Lead function, which didn't have such behavior at low frequencies. Seems backward to boost the distortion on the low notes and keep the high strings running fairly clean.

I have a ValveMaster ready for sale that switches between two 6L6s at 50W or a mixed quad of two 6L6s and 2 E34Ls at 100 W.

I have a real Series III 2x12 Combo. I can install new Celestion 60W Vin30s (Avatar Hellatone 60L, or a Eminence Swamp Thang and Red White and Blues combo. Series III says Series III on it in silkscreen. There's no effects loop switching, and the GEQ isn't channel-dependant (it switches on or off from front-panel control). There's no level adjustment for the effects loop. The original power entry had a death cap, and the amps are or need to be re-fitted with 3-prong AC. the power output switch is 60%-100%, not 25%-50%-100%. The presence control is in the NFB loop. Screen resistors are low-value. The reverb knob is on the back. Footswitches have 1 1/4" plug for channel, and a 1/4" plug for volume boost. The presence circuit has some magic.

I also have a post-'87 X100B (the final interation before the re-issue) head with grey Ozite covering, silk-screen for "Pull Hot Rod", EL34s, etc. It needs minor cleaup (reverb needs fixing, the channel LEDs aren't in the holes, pots are scratchy, etc.)

The 2x12 combo is worth $350 to me with the speakers, $280 without. The X100B head is worth $280 to me. I'd rather not ship the 2x12 combo. It's probably better sold on Craig's List. Most of the remaing amps are old X60s, and a few XT and XV112 1x12" Combos.
ExtendedScaler

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:15 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey, thanks for replying so quickly. OK, I'll bite. What's a death cap? Are you talking about an incoming line filter cap?

I know what you mean about the low end boost. That's what I am trying to mod out of these amps. (I have a couple Series IVs) When you are playing a baritone you really have to tweak the EQ's to get rid of the mud and rumble in the high gain channel. I have changed some values in the cathode and grid circuits to get rid of the cold clipping and bring the gain back up. Hoping to high pass above about 150hz before(?) that stage so that no matter what channel you are using the baritone instrument tone stays relatively even.

Anyway...keeps me out of the bars:)

How much for the Valvemaster? The X60's, what shape are they in? Obviously I don't mind putting work into them it's kind of a hobby for me, I sell them when I get too many.
X100BNut
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:34 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

The first X100Bs had two-pronged cords. Theres a "death" cap from the chassis to hot or neutral through a switch. Set the switch to hot, have a cap failure, grab your guitar neck and a grounded mike, and you could even die. With no cap failure, it can still wake you up. Most folks fix it on sight for three prongs and an earth ground chassis. All mine have been rewired. The X60 "studio amps" are in good shape in black Ozite. I have various speaker options available. Not all have a footswitch. I checked, and I have two Grey fuzzy late model ('87 to '93?) X100B heads and two Series III heads.

The Valvemaster and X60s are $280 plus shipping.
Koaboy
Power Carvin User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:53 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey X100BNut

I'm Looking for some vintage parts you may have spares ?

Control knobs used on old X100b amps, may be same as guitars vol/tone knobs ?
Good condition 1 to 3 qty

also looking for vintage mini toggle switches with the white cap and early M22 pups with the copper wrap in creme color / creme rings too

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic