KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Mid-90s Carvin DC-127 doubts View next topic
View previous topic
Perrygoround

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:43 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
I am new here. Last week I got my first Carvin. It is a DC 127. According the serial number it was made around 1994-1995. The previous owner got it in another guitar exchange and did not know much about the guitar.
I was trying to get as much information about it on the CarvinMuseum website, but I still have some doubts.
It is a neck Through, ebony fingerboard. Neck and body wings woods are unknown to me. According Carvin Museum, the standard woods used in that era were Maple necks and Poplar bodies.
The Bridge is a Licensed Floyd Rose. I saw on CarvinMuseum that on that era (94-95), Licensed Floyds were not the standard on this model. I would like to know if it is the original bridge on this guitar. Were Licensed Floyds a optional choice on those years? Is there any way I can check if this bridge is Carvin-made or a retrofit?
Another thing I am curious about are the pickups. According to Carvin Museum, DC 127s in the mid 90s, came with M22T and M22N or M22N pickups. However, those pickup models are supposed to came with 11 pole-pieces per coil, while the ones on my guitar hace only 6 pole pieces per coil. Also, and althoug the bridge is a Floyd, the Bridge pickup is standard spaced (50 mm from the centre of the first pole piece to the centre of the last pole piece). I would like to know if this combination of features (pickups with 6 pole pieces per coil, and a standard spaced bridge pickup combined with a Floyd Rose Tremolo) could be the stock condition of the guitar, or if it means that something (either the Floyd or the Pickups) is a modification made by any of its previous owners.

Here a couple of pics:

Thanks in advance!
wickid
Curator: Carvin Museum of NY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:15 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Its hard to make out anything from those dark pix. The bridge may be original as I think they've used Carvin labled lic Floyds, or even Kahler branded Carvin Floyd - lic trems.
The p/ups are most likely a mod, but p/up swaps are done often - to taste. The mounting ring screw doesnt look "stock", as they're typically Phillips round head. The pole screws look like maybe they might be the new Lithiums, but who knows? I think they'd match the Floyd spacing.
tbonesullivan
New and Improved

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:05 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Hex screws mean those are most likely dimarzio pickups of some type.

Carvin started using the OFR in 1995. up until 1992 it was the "Carvin/Floyd Rose" bridge. 93-94 didn't have the DC127C as a model, just the standard and the DC127T with the Carvin/Wilkinson tremolo.

Effects: Boss OD-20, Carvin XP4, AC120, ODB-3, ISP Dec.
Perrygoround

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:44 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for your replies.
According with your information, I assume that the pickups were changed by a previous owner.
It is possible that the bridge could be a custom choice when the guitar was ordered? I am wondering if, although in 1993-94 the DC127s were made with the Carvin/Wilkinson tremolo, a customer could have ordered one with the licensed Floyd as a customer choice (I understand Carvin have allways worked that way, offering custom choices). So the Licensed Floyd could be one remanent from the preious period that ended up in this guitar. The guitar is routed for a Floyd since its construction. That is clear.
Russ
Seeking qualified therapist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:33 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

The first link will give you serial number ranges to years...

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/whatmodelguitar.html

and this link will give you the options available by years/models...

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/whatmodelguitarmatrix.html

Semi-obviously, if the option doesn't show on the matrix, it's highly likely that the particular item is aftermarket and not an option that Carvin installed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:05 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks a lot for those links.
According the serial number (42725) my guitar falls between 1994 and 1995. According to your links, none of those years a Floyd Rose was available. Only Wilkinson and fixed bridges were mounted both on 1994 and 1995. As my Floyd Rose is locked on the top of the guitar (Dive only), I understand the original brdge for my guitar was probably a Wilkinson trem. and somebody did the "upgrade".
Pickups were a couple of dimarzios (Fred Bridge standard spacing and PAF Pro neck). In this time I have already change the bridge pickup for a Duncan JB Trembucker, so it fits the Floyd string spacing.
Tuners are Sperzels, probably stock.
It is a neck through, probably maple with poplar sides.
So, I think that now I know almost everything I can get to know about this guitar. Again, thanks a lot for the links.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic