KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

Why is the DC160 so rare? View next topic
View previous topic
TheSpruceMoose

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:20 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

I like the old Gibson Les Paul Specials because of their elegant, yet simplistic slab body style. I like the shape of the Gibson melody maker doublecut. Simple and very functional. Last but not least, I like maple, especially flamed maple. So the Carvin DC160 seems to have been born of all the great guitar ingredients put together. I imagine Carvin made a bunch, so why are they so damn rare. I can find a golden era Les Paul burst on Gbase, I can find a '59 es335 on Reverb, and I can certainly find all sorts of vintage Strats on Ebay. Yes, they're expensive, but the point is they can be had. They're not hiding and it requires little to no work to locate one. Where are these Carvins hiding??? Secret underground fishing hole that only grandpa and the cable guy know of?
woodensoul
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:01 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I suppose there might be two factors in play: how many Carvin made (model ran between 1979 - 1987) and how willing owners are to let them go. Having said that I've wanted one for a long time and currently own 2. One I picked up used thru Guitar Center's website. It's functional but the finish is in very rough shape. Another one I snagged locally from Craigslist. Keep an eye out and eventually you'll find one! Here's some pics.

TheSpruceMoose

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:30 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

It must be some ridiculous low production number or you would see some kind of turnover in the used marketplace.
KingSympRace X
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:42 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

You can buy mine at my estate sale after I pass away.

I just had a brand-new Kahler installed in it, as the new ones can be locked down and turned into a hard-tail and I never use the whammy bar anyways.

I always had the common Kahler tuning issues with it (bending a string, usually the G, would make it go slightly out of tune. Flicking the bar would bring it back, usually).

With the bridge locked down I no longer have that tuning issue. I love it. I should've done this years ago.

Pics of the guitar with the new bridge:

[URL=http://s32.photobucket.com/user/DrJbird/media/Guitars/P1020360_zpswdkl7vda.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s32.photobucket.com/user/DrJbird/media/Guitars/P1020362_zpsilnnnvrw.jpg.html] [/URL]

The new Kahlers have the little set screw in the back, to lock it down
[URL=http://s32.photobucket.com/user/DrJbird/media/Guitars/P1020363_zpslxem989f.jpg.html] [/URL]
KingSympRace X
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:47 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I want a DC160K to go along with my regular DC160

DC160K's are probably rarer than hen's teeth though Sad
TheSpruceMoose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:06 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

That would explain the disappearance of a lot of the DC160's. They have been buried with their owners, LOL. I think the first bridge was perfect for this guitar. The Kahler and Schaller with fine tuners were downgrades in my opinion. Locking that Kahler in place, essentially turning it into a hardtail, was probably the best thing for it.
Russ
Seeking qualified therapist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:27 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

First off, we're talking a mail order company vs. the number # guitar manufacturer of that era, so the Carvin to Gibson ratio is going to be skewed from the start. Next, consider the DC100, DC150 and DC160 were essentially the same guitar with different options, the 160 of course being the "loaded" model. The Carvin customer has historically been a "bang for the buck" buyer, so the lower priced models likely had higher production numbers. Lastly, excluding double-neck models, the DC160 was the most expensive guitar in the catalog. As for them having made "a bunch", I wouldn't be surprised to see the number under a thousand for the whole 9 year run.

Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:19 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Not sure if it's a DC150K, or a DC160K, as it has the fancy headstock inlay of the 160, but chrome hardware and pickguard of a 150. Plus half of the body is nicely flamed, and the lower half has virtually no flame (it has just a bit, near the body half seam)

[URL=http://s32.photobucket.com/user/DrJbird/media/Guitars/P1020417_zps6nqgnsbh.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s32.photobucket.com/user/DrJbird/media/Guitars/P1020418_zpsl6yawkrv.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s32.photobucket.com/user/DrJbird/media/Guitars/P1020419_zps69vx6njw.jpg.html] [/URL]

I'm pretty sure the knobs are replacements, as is the Kahler bridge itself, as the bridge looks brand new with no wear on it at all (still an older Kahler though, as there is no lock-down screw on it).

It goes well with my DC160T, book-end guitars Smile

[URL=http://s32.photobucket.com/user/DrJbird/media/Guitars/P1020416_zpsfyc4vcjh.jpg.html] [/URL]
TheSpruceMoose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:20 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Looks like you found some hen's teeth. Very nice! I would say it is a DC160 because it also has the block inlays on the fb rather than dots. It is possible that either the guitar was ordered from the factory with the pickguard, or someone put it on later. Looks in good shape too.
KingSympRace X
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:56 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

Park
Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:14 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

KingSympRace X wrote:
Not sure if it's a DC150K, or a DC160K, as it has the fancy headstock inlay of the 160, but chrome hardware and pickguard of a 150. Plus half of the body is nicely flamed, and the lower half has virtually no flame (it has just a bit, near the body half seam)

I'm pretty sure the knobs are replacements, as is the Kahler bridge itself, as the bridge looks brand new with no wear on it at all (still an older Kahler though, as there is no lock-down screw on it).

Those are beauties!
KingSympRace X
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:37 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

There is a DC160 for sale right now on ebay, as of 13 November 2016:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvin-DC-160-guitar-flame-maple/302107938320?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D39107%26meid%3D46d25fe434634a96b62a5b982ab0e02b%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D172109471573&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true
TheSpruceMoose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:26 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, I saw that when it was first listed a month ago. It started at $899 on a 30 day auction. About 4 days before the close, the seller lowered the price to $859. I can live with the 3 piece body, but I think there were a few deal-breakers present here. This particular DC160 was made toward the end of the run. Although not a deal-breaker, I would expect it to be priced lower than early examples. The extra holes being one big downfall. Of course it was drilled for a Roland Synth (Mickey Mantle card in the spokes moment). To top it off, someone decided to drill another hole for the strap button on the top of the left horn. It has EMG's instead of the original M22 pickups, and has gloss black hardware. It can still be a nice playing guitar, but with everything going on with this guitar I would expect to pay around $500 tops. Seller was being very optimistic with the starting price. Needless to say I passed on this one.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic