KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

NGD! PRS SE Akerfeldt View next topic
View previous topic
kadhimj
Regular Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:41 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I got me a new (used) PRS SE Mikael Akerfeldt guitar last week. I've played it at two rehearsals and this guitar is really awesome! This is the first import I've had in many many years and I cannot believe how nice this thing is.

Ebony board, 24 jumbo frets (perfect fretwork!), birdie inlays (I think it's fake mop), maple cap (with flame veneer), natural binding, gold hardware, mahogany body, satin maple wide/fat neck. What more could a guy ask for?

The pickups are the SE version of the HFS and Vintage Bass pups and they sound really sweet. The neck pickup is fat and clean, the bridge is a tad bassy but very powerful...it screams for sure!

I could tell the previous owner never played it and tried to set it up himself, cause the setup was absolutely terrible and everything on it is practically new. I cleaned it up, gave it a setup using factory specs and it plays wonderfully. I didn't think I'd like the wide/fat neck, but its surprisingly easy on the hands and I get full access to the 24th fret. I set the neck completely straight and get zero fret buzz anywhere.

The only issue was the nut was cut too narrow for a set of 10's. Apparently a common issue with PRS SE guitars. I used sandpaper to widen it up and there's no tuning issues even with heavy whammy usage. (Note to self...when sanding nuts, tape off the headstock so you don't scrape up the truss rod cover!). Smile

Anyways...I know you all just wanna see pics. Here she is.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic