KieselGuitars.com     FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  

FS Walnut HF2s View next topic
View previous topic
jb63
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:43 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

I know, I know, I said I wanted a Walnut Fatboy, and look, I got one!
It is every bit the Bees Knees and all that, but I honestly can't stand the Maple top.

I love the 14" radius, I love the rich walnut tone that you need walnut to get, but I can't stand the maple top. Or apparently the chrome hardware.

As far as the setup goes, it takes a little getting used to carvings 5-knob, 3 stacked setup, but once you do, its a keeper.

This is in close to mint condition.

I have $1675 wrapped up in this, and I'd like to let it go for $1400 shipped to some US location so that part doesn't cost too much.

Ask me some questions, I love questions!

Iíll leave this here for a while before I list it on Reverb or Ebay.

Here are the pics.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by jb63 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
tms13pin
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:38 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

That's beautiful, what's not to like? This is coming from the guy who invented the 13-pin Fatboy before Carvin decided to start offering it as an option. I had to retrofit my 20-in radius FB, that's cool that they're doing them 14-in so they can use the stock Graphtech radiused bridges.

Good luck with this one. I stupidly sold my modded one a number of years back and just missed out on getting it back from a GC it showed up in a few months ago. The HF2 is a unique guitar. I'm sure the piezo benefits from the active tone controls (I only put a piezo volume on mine).

--Tom
jb63
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:54 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Was yours the blonde Spalted Maple top with the gold hardware?
Well, then!
I bought that the day they listed it and played it for 29 days then returned it. It was great, and I really liked the setup (and the install into the wood was REALLY good) but I just couldn't bond with that birdseye maple fretboard.

(which is odd because)

apparently I can live with it on my HH2!
tms13pin
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:12 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep, that was mine. You can see it in the players gallery here, pre mod. http://www.carvinmuseum.com/playersgallery/holdsworth.html When did you buy/return it? I got that guitar as an option 50 in 2004, before they started offering spalted maple. I asked them about it and they had a couple pieces in the warehouse but they were thin, so they'd only do it for me on a HF2 or a AE185. I wanted a HF2 anyway so that was fine. Then I did the graphtech ghost install. The neck was the standard Holdsworth 20" radius on that though. Very flat board. Is your white one 20" or 14"?

That's a nice guitar. I've always wondered how those new ones played.

--Tom
jb63
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:50 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

That's the one!
I got is just before Xmas. I told my wife she bought me a Christmas present and then wrapped it myself and put it under the tree. It was the only gift I got that year.

The white one is 20" and the board almost feels like your HF2 but there is something slightly different about them. I've played 3 of the HH guitars, all with different sized frets, but they all had the 20" radius. You definitely want to try one out when you can. I can't believe they are now solid bodies. Alan would never have wanted that, I think, but I'm sure its easier to make.

I'l have to take pictures of the HH2 again, because I just overhauled the thing and replaced everything to make it a MIDI guitar.

I really wish I could justify Keeping the Walnut HF2s, but I just don't use it enough and that Maple top kills me every time. Why didn't I go Claro?
tms13pin
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:44 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

jb63 wrote:
I really wish I could justify Keeping the Walnut HF2s, but I just don't use it enough and that Maple top kills me every time. Why didn't I go Claro?

I think it's beautiful. I wish I could justify it but I have more guitars than I have time to use myself these days (and more than my talent, or lack thereof, dictate I should have). I'd love another 13-pin Fatboy someday. It'd be interesting to play one with a more radiused board too.

--Tom
jb63
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:55 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

tms13pin wrote:
I'd love another 13-pin Fatboy someday. It'd be interesting to play one with a more radiused board too.

There's a guy over on the vguitar forums selling his 12" radius one for $1200, and I'm strongly considering buying it JUST to try the 12" radius, but I just can't justify doing that if I know I'd have to sell it. It's all kinds of beautiful maple but I am addicted to the Walnut tone.
jb63
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:38 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Bumping this to the top before the weekend ever listing.
Tripoutski
I did not go Country, Country got me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:52 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Heck, Tom; it seems that you built the village bicycle! So in late January it was returned to a store in Salt Lake, then by July it was at a GC in Tuscon? If that thing could talk...
tms13pin
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:27 pm   Reply with quoteBack to top

Tripoutski wrote:
Heck, Tom; it seems that you built the village bicycle! So in late January it was returned to a store in Salt Lake, then by July it was at a GC in Tuscon? If that thing could talk...

Yeah, great guitar. I probably shouldn't have sold it in the first place, but you know how it goes. This walnut one is haunting me a bit. I surely don't need anymore guitars, but unlike the OP, I love the maple top.

--Tom
jb63
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

We live in a world of too many great guitars!
Tom's original changed hands 4 times after I let it go. I remember watching it and thinking "y'know, if that price drops below $900 I will have to buy it again." But when I returned it I specifically told them at the shop it was worth every penny and not to drop the price. I brought in this guitar to explain why I was returning it. For about $60 someone could add the piezo board to Tom's and it would actually be the the first pre-HF2s HF2s!
tms13pin
Too Much Free Time

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:26 am   Reply with quoteBack to top

jb63 wrote:
We live in a world of too many great guitars!
Tom's original changed hands 4 times after I let it go. I remember watching it and thinking "y'know, if that price drops below $900 I will have to buy it again." But when I returned it I specifically told them at the shop it was worth every penny and not to drop the price. I brought in this guitar to explain why I was returning it. For about $60 someone could add the piezo board to Tom's and it would actually be the the first pre-HF2s HF2s!

Mine had both the hex and piezo boards.

--Tom

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic